Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best meal not on an BGE?

Options
Sweathog
Sweathog Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live in Nashville, and while we have several good restaurants, it is rare that I have a restaurant meal that is better than what I can cook on my large or small BGE. I think my steaks are better than the Palm or Morton's or Fleming's (although Morton's is close). I like my pizza better than essentially all the local joints. We don't have that much fresh seafood, but I'll stack AZRP's shrimp up against most. You know what I'm talking about.

That being said, what are your best meals you've had, not on an egg, but paid for in cold, hard, cash?

My top three restaurants/meals:

1. KOMI, Washington D.C. -- best by far, and it isn't close. Mad Max, save your pennies and go.

2. Blackberry Farm, Walland, TN -- small hotel and restaurant on the edge of the Smoky Mountains. Truly one the best and prettiest places you'll go.

3. Fleur de Lys -- Las Vegas, Mandalay Bay hotel. Outpost of Hubert Keller's San Francisco establishment. Awesome.

What are your favorites?

Sweathog

Jim

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Drago's

Drago's

Drago's

Just kidding.

Drago's

Emeril's

Brennan's

K Paul's

Jacques-Imo's

Bayona.

Brigtsen's
  • Sweathog
    Options
    Is Drago's in New Orleans? Heading down there in November.

Sweathog

Jim
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    some of my fav's since I have many:

1. Kuleto's in San Francisco-good Italian food

2. Friday's Station at Harrah's in South Lake Tahoe
    Awesome views of the Lake, great steaks and great wines. Very romantic if you want to impress your date.

3. Any Italian restuarant in North Beach area of San Francisco.

Some of my worst experiences:

1. Bucco Di Beppo

2. Any restuarant on or near Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco

3.Fast food hamburgers
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Two locations. One in Metairie and one in the Hilton downtown.

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    1. Kanki - Raleigh. Sushi doesn't need to be cooked on an egg.

2. Rudy's General Store. Some of the Texans know this one.

3. Chick-Fil-a - Sometimes fast food is actually good.

4. Papadeaux's (Atlanta or Houston) Cajun done good!!

5. Fugo De Chao - Bazilian BBQ.. Yummm
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    McCormick and Schmicks in Seattle. Swordfish.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Hogman, Go to Athens in the Melrose area (8th ave). For non-egged food, you get what you pay for(In my humble opinion). Let me know sometime what you think.

Walt
  • HoldOn2UrButts
    Options
    A few years ago my wife took me to the French Laundry in Yountville (California wine country) and it was the most inspired and sublime experience I have ever had dining out.

Now I can't say that I've been to a lot of great restaurants around the country or around the world, but I can't imagine anything else coming close to this great experience. I do know one thing, though, when the feds let me have some more of my money I'm sure gonna try to find another experience like TFL.

Different strokes for different folks.
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    We don't have em in Alabama...
    I like the Animal Style Burger and their Fries :woohoo:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What Mike said "Dragos, etc"
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    My top two eating experiences came on the same trip to the northeast.

1. Rainbow Sweets. Marshfield, VT. A tiny pizza and pastry shop in a tinier town. The chef has some serious skills. Outstanding pastry entrees (spanakopita, empanadas, b'stilla) and mindblowing desserts. We were passing through looking for somewhere where we could eat on the go, but hadn't seen anything for miles. Stopped when we finally saw something that looked like they might serve food. Found the best food we'd eaten in years. Hand of God.

2. Antonio's Restaurant. New Bedford, MA. Our first experience with Portuguese food. We had spent the day touring the historical port area of NB and had learned that they had a large population of Portuguese people. We realized none of us had had Portuguese food before, so we went in search of a restaurant. An eye-opening experience.

That vacation had a huge impact on how I cook, travel, choose restaurants, and generally how I feel about food. Other great meals from that trip: Lobster pound in Trenton, ME. Popovers with strawberry jam at Jordan Pond on Mount Desert Island, ME. Bouillabaisse in Bar Harbor, ME (can't recall the name of the restaurant...I can picture it and could point to it on a map, but don't remember the name).
  • Cookn&Climbn
    Options
    the dwarf house (original location)

the varsity
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i find the food very unsatisfying when i leave newengland. so many small places along the coast with top notch food and they are usually priced right compared to all the big hyped places you see posted about.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    Non-egged... I'd have to say the best by far is fresh scallops, consumed smack-dab in the middle of the scallop bed you're collecting them in 30-45 foot of water. Yes, while scuba diving!

Sorry - its not an official restaurant, more like "grazing in the wild"!
  • James MB
    Options
    Oaks, Ludlow, UK (then it became Hibiscus and now La Becasse - all very good)
    The Merchant House, Ludlow, UK (now sadly closed)

Better than anything I ever had in London when I lived there.

Oh and oysters on the shore of Vancouver Island were pretty good - I wondered why my brother got a lemon and a Marigold glove when he suggested a walk!

Oh and some of my family do a good half lamb over coals but it's probably the occasion that makes it so good, and the company.
    Then there's my mother's pigeon pie and..

Yes, food is one of life's great pleasures!
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    Glaicer Brewhouse in Anchorage AK. Macadamia crusted, crab stuffed Halibut
    Margaritas were great also