Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yoshida Jerky

ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's an old favorite of ours that I used to make in the water smoker before the Big Green Egg. This is the first time I've tried it on the Egg. The results were excellent!

I started with flank steak and sliced it into strips about 1/4" thick. I put the strips into a gallon Ziplock bag and covered them with Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce. let them marinate in the Yoshida's for about 15 hours.

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

After 15 hours of soaking in the Yoshida I distributed the strips on the three tier grill extender. I set the Egg up for smoking with the platesetter and short fire ring using hickory chips for flavor.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

I smoked the strips for about seven hours at 160 degrees measured at the top grate. After about six hours I started checking them for doneness. The strips on the top grate and those closest to the sides of the other grates finished first, getting that characteristic jerky "translucent look" to them. I pulled the strips as they finished off and moved strips not done yet to the top grate. Here's the finished product:

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

Enjoy,

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i keep thinking more and more about making jerky... i am thinking that this winter would be a good time..

so you have to get them to look a little translucent is that how you tell they are done?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hi Bente,

They get a little bit translucent when they are done - you can shine a light through them. When done they are dried all the way through - there's no grey inside when you bite into them.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    thanks i will take pictures when i give it my first try ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jack, That looks great and wish I had a pice right now. Great pictures also. Thanks for sharing, where do you get the Yoshida?
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    I get Yoshida at Costco, I love it as it is not too sweet and doesn't burn as some other Japanese sauces do.

Walt
  • Thanks Walt,
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    i have a bottle of yoshidas in my pantry that i bought at Costco and now i know what im going to do with it. That is excellent looking jerky. nice job!
  • BENTE wrote:
    thanks i will take pictures when i give it my first try ;)

Be sure to post and let me know what you think of the taste!
  • Jupiter Jim wrote:
    Jack, That looks great and wish I had a pice right now. Great pictures also. Thanks for sharing, where do you get the Yoshida?
    Jim

Jim,

I get my Yoshida at Costco but I'm beginning to see it at regular grocery stores too. It's a teriyaki glaze so if you can't find Yoshida you can try Kikkoman or others.
  • UGAVET wrote:
    i have a bottle of yoshidas in my pantry that i bought at Costco and now i know what im going to do with it. That is excellent looking jerky. nice job!

Thanks for the comments. The only problem with this jerky is that it goes FAST. I ended up with about 24 oz of finished product. I vacuum packed 12 oz to ship to my son in Seattle, and the remaining 12 oz was gone by lunchtime the next day.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    I just have to speak up here. The BGE is a wonderful machine. I own 3. But it is not a Shopsmith. It is not the end-all-be-all. You need to dry the meat OUT. I use Tender Quick and I use a Big Chief. I know but I can store this stuff on a shelf or take it camping or give it away a year later. I use an old recipe posted on this site by Kevie. If you want it, email me. For the rest of the mamal flesh in the world I am ON IT with the BEG's. Size to fit. LOL