Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Team Dessert trial run - epic fail

AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good thing we tried this at home first!!

Cho and I wanted to try making a huge Baked Alaska as our dessert for Eggtoberfest.
I think we will stick to mooching off everyone else's baked goodies! :)

the pics speak for themselves I guess..heehee

IMG_3602_11-1.jpg

IMG_3607_16-1-1.jpg

IMG_3614_23-1.jpg

IMG_3616_25.jpg

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Melissa,
    First time I've seen this done on the egg. How cool!
    I tried your salmon recipe for the first time last night. MMM melt in your mouth. Thanks for providing it.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    looks good enough to eat to me ;)

just make sure you and cho have the salmon eggin down and you will proabably get a free pass from max :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Just because some things we cook on our Eggs aren't photogenic doesn't mean they're not tasty! The important thing is, how did it taste?

BTW, did you ever replace your vac sealer? If so, what did you get? I am still shopping and undecided. I really don't want to spend the money on a chamber sealer, but I think you were leaning that way. Thanks, Mark

P.S. Looking forward to meeting you in Atlanta.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    It looks like it could work at Eggfest! I think you might want to try to use a torch to finish though, after you egg it,of course.Haha. I think you should do it! Looking forward to meeting you in person. Great job Melissa!
  • looks great to me. ..how did it taste?? what temp did you have the egg at?. ..i'd think you want it really hot, like around 475-500 and then just stick the 'alaska' in there long enough to get the marangue to brown. .. .

i think you oughta still try it in atlanta. .. trust me, no matter how it turns out, it's still get eatin. ..

hey, did you get my email/phonemail about the hotel rooms??...switching my suite for your single, or if nothing else, you can give me cho :whistle: :evil:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think the durty little secret about baked alaska is that anyone doing these days probably just hits it with a torch.

the "old" way AlaskanC tried is definitely a ballsy cook!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • i agree. ..its a fine line to get the marangue to brown while still keeping the ice cream frozen. ...i told her that we'd find some dry ice down there somewhere to keep it really cold ....then apply the marangue at the last minute and zap it into a hot egg.. .i think that would really be over the top and a great presentation!!....looks to me like she did a great job, and that is one giant baked alaska she made... .i can't even imagine how many egg whites she used, and what the hell did she do with all the yolks?!?!?
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Hey Max....Publix carries dry ice.
    Larry
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    We do that here at the studio and what we have ended up doing is a sheet cake and cut circles out with a cookie cutter the size you want, then use an ice cream scoop to scoop one scoop of ice cream a size smaller on it then back into the freezer till needed. I can do these a week ahead for an event. then just cover with marangue, I cheat and pipe it and pop under the broiler if you don't have a torch.
  • AlaskanC
    It tasted fine - it was just cake & ice cream. My brother in law Jensen said it had a funky taste, then noted that it was probably because of the chunk of alder that I didn't see smoking away in there. Yuck.

I put it in at about 500, then put a blowdryer in the bottom vent till flames were shooting out of the top - I was hoping that the flames passing by the platesetter & around the dessert would brown it up. Not so much.

There were many factors that caused the failure, and we had lots of "if only we had tried..." ideas afterwards, but all I could think was that if we couldn't pull it off at home with ideal conditions then there was no way we could do it in Atlanta.

Perhaps if we had misted it with some 151 and then let it flame up like bananas foster...

oh there I go again..... :)
  • AlaskanC
    Ballsy indeed. Or just stupid.

Cho works at a restaurant here and she says they just pour alcohol on it & light it. I think that would have worked a lot better, but it wouldn't have been made on the egg and that's what I was going for.

I think I'll stick to salmon. B)
  • AlaskanC
    I think your way would have worked a lot better! :laugh:
  • AlaskanC
    It will be great to finally meet you - are your kids coming?
  • AlaskanC
    I still haven't replaced that stupid foodsaver! I really want one of those chamber sealers but I have yet to talk to anyone that actually owns one. The fish processors around here use chamber sealers but they are humongous.

I'll bet we can get AZRP to buy one - he'll buy anything!! :laugh:
  • AlaskanC
    9 egg whites.

The yolks are in the fridge - maybe I'll make some custard with them.... or not.

Oh - I saw that you called the other day, but I still haven't gotten around to getting my password fixed for my voicemail (I've got messages on there from last year!!), so I have no idea what you said. :laugh:
  • We made a bunch of them at for scouts a few years ago to pay off a bet. At least that large. We used the dry ice trick & it worked. Since it ws for scouts, we had to get a little creative & used vanilla extract for the flambe' step. Go for it Melissa!!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    And a happy Thanksgiving to you too. :laugh:-RP
  • AlaskanC
    Hmm... there was vanilla extract in the meringue, but I didn't think about using as an accelerant. That could work!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Just be careful the guests don't find the alcohol....or it could be gulped... before.... ;)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    My favourite dessert by far......Hope you make it at the Fest...
  • geez, ok, i'll try and call you again and hope you answer!! ... or i'll shoot you a message on facebook. . . or email. ... dang
  • AlaskanC
    ok - I left my cell at home, and I won't be there for a few more hours. ;)
  • ok, i'm gonna shoot you another email and maybe try and call you this evening. ...
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    You know they are! They'll be cooking again this year.
  • We don't use an icecream scooper-she made me use my hands hahahaha. :laugh:
  • Yeah a little 151 works on it...so correct me if I am WRONG...are we going to attempt this again down there? Is there a Cold Stone or ice cream place near by that will make the ball circle thingy of icecream, people might be so excited to eat it if they see me manhandling it. Getting 3 1/2 gallon things of icecream into the bowl last night was interesting....
  • We can just have a torch on call-that would make it super excited, dump on some 151 and get the torch going.
  • AlaskanC
    I dunno if we are going to try it or not. Everyone here seems to think that it would be a good idea, but they weren't there to feel the sting of defeat last night. :(

Apparently dry ice & alcohol are the key to success.
  • Well you could try three or four smaller ones.. Just a thought,,,