Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's for dinner?

Options
ChitownBBQ
ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife and I recently decided to see if we could (with the help of the BGE that she didn't orginally want...) beat the high-end (and high-priced) restaurants.

We started with a couple of 2.5" thick, bone-in ribeyes (Choice, not Prime).
0816-0.jpg

Properly seasoned and put to 'The T-Rex Method'.
IMG00043.jpg

They looked nice resting while the egg cooled down.
IMG00046.jpg

The wife raided the tomato & herb gardens and made a nice caprese salad to start things off.
0816-9.jpg

She also wandered around the produce section to get some nice mushrooms, zuchini & onions to wok on the egg.
0816-11.jpg

I wanted to try a little crusting, so I grabbed some bleu cheese and pankow.
0816-5.jpg

...and while I was wokking the veggies, the wife gave the crusted steaks a few seconds under the broiler...
0816-10.jpg

We rounded the meal off with a bottle we had scored in a charity auction a couple of years ago...
0816-7.jpg
0816-8.jpg

We decided it pretty well rocked over any steak dinner we'd had out..

Enjoy!

B)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Nice choice in wine. One of my favorites. The Alexander is a nice smooth Cab.

Can't beat a great steak and caprese salad.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Great looking meal!

I also find it very difficult to get excited about eating steak at resturants. About the only time I eat steak out is when traveling for business. Even at "famous" high end steak houses, you can usually do better at home on an egg. A notable exception was a dry aged, Allen Brothers porterhouse at Kevin Rathbun Steak in Atlanta (Thanks to a great tip from Fidel!).
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Awesome Cab. The 2004 Silver Oak definately deserves to be paired up with a thick ribeye seared to perfection. Good Job!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Yeap, you can beat their high price when cookin your own steak at home. Beautiful meal you made, makes me huuuuungry.
  • ChitownBBQ
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!

We had pretty much given up on fish in restaurants years ago after our 2nd trip to Alaska bringing home fresh halibut & salmon..

Now steaks, ribs, brisket & shoulder are all pretty much spoiled as well..

We never did order much chicken out since it is(was?) economnical to make at home...but now...parmesan spatchcock is my most requested dish, the citrus-marinated 'Pollo Asado' comes in 2nd and, of cource, but plain old BBQ (mustard-slicked, dry-rubbed, egged for 90 minutes...)..

BGE may be putting restaurants out of business.

B)
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Used to go by that winery all the time when I worked in Calistoga. Alexander Valley good.