Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Draft Door help

Options
oldfishinglure
oldfishinglure Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just did a complete refurb a month ago on the egg. I used a chimney high heat silicone on the bottom draft door. Month later its all cracked and falling apart now. Anyone got a product I can look for or order online?? Also melted my new felt gasket on about the 5th doing pizzas...O well here I go again... Just give me another reason to crack a cold one and play with the egg...

Can live without the gasket but the draft door is monkeying with my ability to hold temp.

Hows the new nomex hold up...

Matt
www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Try High heat RTV Silicone. You can get it at any hardware or home center. The plate setter and pizza stone put the heat right at the gasket. Break in new gaskets with 5-8 lower heat cooks and you'll be fine.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Just some food for thought... I had about 40 cooks below 400° on my large. Next cook at 450° both adhesive and felt failed.

The cook was with the dutch oven and fairly empty. There was a high heat mass close to the gasket, about 2" away.

For the bottom draft door seal, call BGE support and ask them what to use. It very well could be that regular silicone would be fine.

I used some GE silicone on my draft door last week. I haven't had enough cooks to offer any reliable reports as of yet.

Let us know what BGE says to use. This question has come up 2 or 3 times now.

GG
  • low tech redneck
    Options
    No idea about the draft door sealer but the nomex gasket is the way to go.There is still an adhesive issue but I don't think you can melt or burn up the nomex.
    Jim