Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dude, Where's My Lump?

Options
jimbotron
jimbotron Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, that was weird.

First time cooking with plate setter. I added lump, lit, waited 10 mins, inserted plate setter, closed lid, waited another few mins, added food (a lot, fwiw...pretty much filled the grid). Temp was around 400.

Ten minutes later, I tried to raise the temp. Wouldn't budge. Opened everything all the way up, but it stuck hard at 400. No biggie, as 400 worked ok for what I was doing.

So I just let it cook for 25 mins or so with all vents opened all the way and temp sticking at 400. Removed food and plate setter. And there was almost no lump left!

Added more lump, waited, and cooked a steak direct. No problem getting up to 650 with the vents only half open (so it wasn't that ash was clogging the holes).

So...what happened?

Comments

• EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    My 1st question would be... how much lump did you put in at the start? normally i would fill mine up to the fire ring on the start up

2nd how long had it been lit before you added the plate setter? what i do when i'm going to use the plate setter is start the fire then put in the plate setter wait about and hour for it to come up to temp then add food because if u put in the PS it brings down the temp rather quick and it takes awhile to heat up and return to the set temp
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    jimbotron,
    How much lumb did you load it with to start?
    I fill to the top of the fire ring and can get 2-4 cooks out of it.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• jimbotron
    Options
    EGGLANDS BEST wrote:
    My 1st question would be... how much lump did you put in at the start? normally i would fill mine up to the fire ring on the start up

I had a decent amount of leftover, and topped up to an inch or two above the holes (per dvd instructions). But when I removed the place setter, there were just an errant few pieces of glowing charcoal. Kind of shocking. this was my 4th cook, btw.

2nd how long had it been lit before you added the plate setter? what i do when i'm going to use the plate setter is start the fire then put in the plate setter wait about and hour for it to come up to temp then add food because if u put in the PS it brings down the temp rather quick and it takes awhile to heat up and return to the set temp

Interesting. I didn't wait anywhere near that long. But why would it take an hour to heat the place setter when the entire egg is up to heat in 15 mins?
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    It is more of a the platesetter blocks airflow thing. I'm doing ribs right now. There was a 50 degree drop after I added chips, the platesetter, foil on top of the setter, and the ribs. Four hours latter it has recovered 20 degrees.

Lump is up to the fire ring but it is the end of the bag with lots of small stuff.

H