Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp. control

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not sure but I have done food at 350º with the bottom vent only 1/4 open and the daisy open, top closed. Mixed results on the food

Tonight I had the bottom open 1/2" and the daisy open with the top about 1/4 open and i still ran 350º.

Tenderloin was for dinner and I pulled it at 158º no pink , very juicy and tender.

Now the question is, the amount of airflow is different between the 2 settings. Is this a fluke or is it part of the learning curve? Being new is the volume of air flow as important as the temp.? Am I way off base?

help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There are a lot of factors with the air flow feeding the lump.

Bottom vent can be closed almost tight and DFMT opened wide. DFMT can be almost closed and bottom vent a bit wider open and you can result in the exact temp.

I have found if the lump in the egg consists of smaller pieces of lump I have to have the bottom vent 1/2 to full open and DFMT slider 1/3 open, petals full open and I can only get to 350°. Once the air finds a few paths from the grate up through the lump the temp will climb.

If my bottom vent is much more than 1/2" open I pretty much have to check on the egg temp every 15 - 20 minutes. At some point in time the lump will find more air and the temp will spike.

You will learn your settings and will generally know where to set vents for a given temp. Most of the time you will be very close.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    re: "Bottom vent can be closed almost tight and DFMT opened wide. DFMT can be almost closed and bottom vent a bit wider open and you can result in the exact temp. "

i have said this many times here. if you can get anyone to believe you( i can't), you are a better man than i, gunga din.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I believe it! That's why I am asking.