Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

insulating the dome for winter usage

Carnivor T
Carnivor T Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good evening eggers,

I have a large BGE and I would appreciate feedback on the idea of insulating the dome(or the whole
BGE) for winter utilisation.

The goal would be to get or maintain higher temperatures with less lumpwood

I tought of double foil aluminium but the contact temperature is a max of 151 F.

Anybody has iedas for which material would be best to make a BGE winter hat

JF

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Think little Steven will post a pic soon. Also think Stike has one. Bottom line is you won't need it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    what?!?!?!?

you doan needa insulate the dome for anything.

check this pic. look at the thermo temp, and the snow on the dome. do you need MORE insulation than that?

brrrr_HOT.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Thats the pic I knew was coming :laugh: :laugh: Think It's becoming a classic.
  • The juice isn't worth the squeeze. The egg doesn't need it.

Dead winter I am cooking in 2' of snow and -32° worst case usually always below 0°. Eggers up north are colder and more snow than I am. I don't cover the egg either.

I don't notice any more use of lump and not much more time in getting to cook temp.

However, I do switch to lighting with a flame thrower (weed burner).

I get the medium up to 500° in 30 seconds to a minute. Stable in 2 to 5 minutes.

I have 3 rules here in the winter time. Light fast, cook often and don't eat the yellow snow.

15 to 30 days we should be seeing our first snow. AZ will be sounding pretty nice in a month or so.

GG
  • Personally, I wouldn't insulate it. The Egg will burn a little more lump holding temperature on very cold days, but it's sure to cost more to put decent insulation on it than to just toss in another couple of handfuls of lump. The Egg is already a very good insulator.
  • I'd take the money you were planning on spending on insulation and buy yourself a nice bottle a bourbon. You can use that to warm yourself up when you come in and out from the cold.

I've done low and slow at 225º for 24+ hours on an XL egg and 18 hours on a small in 15º weather without any problem.
  • Ok,

Just taught given a delta T that starts at a lower temp would have given me a lower temp in the Egg. TI guess I won't have to make a hat and winter jacket for my egg :lol::lol:

Thanks
  • Stike,

How long has this egg been at 550. Not an hour I would imagine...
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    We have had snow here already......and I am not looking forward to this winter. I do think we are in for some cold and snow. YUCK!

Rick in Montana
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Your an engineer arn't you? :whistle:

You'll find that the Egg is an awesome cooker winter, summer, fall, spring......you name it.

Personally I only draw the line at thunder storms. Rain and snow don't stop me unless it is a complete down poor. Then only because my kids are not tall enough to hold an umbrella over my as I walk out to the Egg. :woohoo:
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    You won't need anything for your dome. You might consider a heat shield/reflector for the comfort of the cook in winter.Eggtable-1.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no. it melted off fairly quick. that snow was a surprise to me though. i was ticked, because i went out expecting to see a clean, melted egg. and when i saw the snow i was sure that the fire went out (i hadjust lit it). i was shocked when i brushed away the snow and it was at 550. i think it maybe melted off after fifteen minutes from the time i lit it.

still, makes for a great pic. if that were a metal gasser, the snow would have been long gone
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Very nice heat deflector :)
  • Captn cook: luv your table
    Stike: luv your picture
    Mario: am an eng.

Thank you all