Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steps to cooking a Turkey? Beating a dead Turkey issue.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please be tolerant of this post. I just got a BGE. I was so enthused about getting it I volunteered to do the family turkey. All 25#'s of it. I've gotten the tempurature and cooking directions off this board. Now, I'm confused as to placement of the turkey and what goes under it. When I bought the grill, I also purchased the BGE turkey insert (thing that goes in turkey to stand it up). Once I insert this, I am planning to put a large tinfoil drip pan under it. That was all I planned on doing. Is this the correct way? And, what about those cooking stones people talk about? Thanks to all who reply, - James Welborn

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    James,[p]It is going to be hard to do a 25 pounder with the vertical roaster -- the bird might clog up the top vent. Also, the dome thermometer might poke into the bird, giving you inaccurate readings. Wow, you have a lot of courage, to do a big bird for one of your first Eggsperiences![p]Whether you do it standing up or laying down [smile], you will need fire bricks under the drip pan. I have actually used ordinary bricks in a pinch, but they are not designed to withstand high temp. You can get fire bricks at most building supply places. You can use full bricks or "splits," which are thinner and thus leave you more room for a big bird.[p]The bricks prevent scorching. They insulate the bird, giving you a more even and indirect heat. Remember, you aren't really going to grill the bird; it's not a steak.[p]Good luck!

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    James Welborn,
    I have not done one that big but I would think that a 25# turkey will not fit in the BGE(even the large BGR) using the verticle roasting stand; you will probably need to set it on a rack over a drip pan. [p]Remember to be careful that your thermometer doesn't stick into the bird when you close the lid or you will not have correct dome temperature readings(you may need to pull the probe back out of the dome a little, using something as a spacer, to to provide clearance.[p]The drip pan will provide you with an indirect set-up without using firebrick or a plate setter and if you cook at lower than 350 degrees you shouldn't have a problen with the drippings getting too hot and smoking.[p]Good luck, it should turn out fine.[p]

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    James Welborn,
    I did the same thing you're doing for my first solo BGE cooking experience. Everything turned out fine, so I'm confident it will work great for you, too. As the others have cautioned, be careful of placement of the VTR so it doesn't plug the vent (which is likely with such a large bird) and the temp probe doesn't stick into your bird. I have cooked with and without a pan under it and have never used fire bricks with my BGE. I make sure I butter, oil, or spray PAM on the bird and then cook it. I have used hickory chunks or a handful of fruit wood chips, but sometimes I just like the taste of the regular charcoal. A nice thing to have is somekind of thermometer. A Polder or Thermopen is great way to let you know when you're done. Should be around 3 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
    Good Luck,
    Julie

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Julie,
    Huh? Just about everything I've read on this board recommends 15-20 minutes per pound. Even at just 15 minutes per pound that comes out to 6.25 hours for a 25lb bird. Did I miss something here, or am I figuring wrong???

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    James Welborn,
    I would suggest sitting the drip pan on a pizza stone with some type of spacer between the drip pan and pizza stone. I use thin ceramic spacers used on gas barbeques. The spacers help keep juices from burning on the bottom of the drip pan. A 25 lb turkey will not fit vertically. My 2 cents.
    Rich

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Steve-O,
    No, you're not wrong, just my math or typing. I put my bird in around 6:30 and was done at 12:00. Sorry for my blunder.
    Julie