Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket help

Options
friscotex
friscotex Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put my first brisket on the egg this AM - an 8 pounder. Indirect with dome steady at 250. After 2 hours, meat temp is already at 140. I was planning for it to take 10-12 hours. Is this sucker going to hit 190 internal temp long before that?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Probably not. Yours seems pretty typical. The first 100-120 degrees usually goes by in 2 hours or so. It's that last 50-60 degrees that take time, and where the magic happens.

You can safely take it to 195 or 200 internal, and it can rest in foil in a cooler for a few hours after it is done. Use the fork test for tenderness. It may be done at 185, or it may be 195 or higher before it is good and tender.

I think you'll be fine.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    it will slow when you hit the plateau but it could cook quick. Just keep checking.
  • Old Salt
    Options
    My 10LB brisket went on at 9:30 Friday night. Temp was 215* dome. Midnight I put the probe in the flat and it read 140*. I too thought like you did that it was cooking too fast. Went to bed and at 5:00 I checked it and it was 150* and dome was 250*. Back to bed and 8 AM got up and checked it again. 175* dome 250*. It took 15 hours to get to 190*. Fire dying down so left it and had dinner at 1:00. Had good bark and was tender and moist.