Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy B-Day To Me....Wife got me a Guru!

pplkook
pplkook Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, sometimes I do love the wife. For my b-day she got me a DigiQII with a pit viper.

So now the million dollar question. What should be the first cook? Butts or Brisket?

I have been hunting around on the forum for bottom controls setup as well as daisy wheel settings for low and slow cooks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I'd do the butts first, more forgiving. For me 250 dome is the fan damper 1/3 open and the petals barely open. Every one's different but easy to figure out. Doing 2 butts tonight myself. Good luck with yours.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    I sure like my Guru for low and slows-an old man like me needs his sleep. On my XL I have the fan damper about 1/4 to 1/3 open (10 cfm fan) and petals barely open. I first just left the fan damper full open but was cooking one day and it was breezy and enough air was getting to the lump it kept trying to over shoot the temp even with the petals barely open so now keep the damper closed down. Mike
  • Well - 2:30 AM PDT - put on a 15lb Brisket.

Going to run it at 225 for a while and see what happens.

Little DP Raisin the Steaks and JD wood chunks. Hopefully it is done by 6-7pm ish tomorrow.

I think I am going to do the wrap at the end with some beef broth.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Don't go higher than 225 with your temp would be my suggestion. You stand the chance of the beast drying out.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • well it is 10:40 AM PDT, the brisket is at 162 and the egg is running at 225 steady.

The guru sure makes it idiot proof...

Question - the magic temps where the connective tissues break down is the 165-170 range correct? This is where I should expect a long time of temperature stabilization ??