Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disappointed in BGE Dealer

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All - a couple of quick questions. Last spring and summer, I bought a Large BGE and Small BGE from a dealer up by my lake home. Both were puchased fully put together. Moving the small was not an issue, but I decided that moving a Large two times a year was not a good options. So - I bought another Large today from a local dealer to my permanent home. I "nogotiated" that he would deliver the BGE, but I did not discuss putting it together. Needless to say I was surprised when four or five boxes showed up at my door. Questions are:

1) Is this normal, or do most BGE's come put together.

2) How hard is it to put together. I am a whiz at financial planning and investments (PS - buy stcoks right now), but not real handy with the tools. Will I be able to put together or should I send it back to the dealer.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Comments

• Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    Both options, pre-assembled, and SAR (Some Assembly Required) are both common. I just bought one, and of the three dealers in my area - two offered both, and the tird was only SAR, but for a small fee would have assembled it.

I assembled it myself.

Directions are pretty good - watch the DVD and its even easier.

Trickiest part for me was installing the two bands and the spring-assisted hinge mechanism. Getting the nut on the lag screw was a bit of a pain, because the bands were slightly bent in to small of a radius - but this may be attributed to "standard deviation" of packaged and assembled parts ;)

Take your time, watch the DVD - may take an hour. I watched the DVD afterwards for fun - so assembly without the DVD was 20 minutes.

Ah - I almost forgot about this step. The directions do state xxx many foot-pounds to torque the band bolts to... I don't know too many people who have calibrated torque wrenches at home... I don't! Just don't jump up-and-down on the wrench while you are torquing it - torque it until it gets a slight bend, and you should be fine. You have to recheck these bolts for tightness every so many uses anyway.

Have fun, and don't forget the adult beverage (the directions leave that out, too - its the last step!)
  • it is not as hard to assemble as it is topick a stock that is going up
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have put together one and when i first got my first one i took it apart to agg egg mates... it is not at all difficult... just do it slowly ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• lowercasebill
    Options
    you are in a service business, yes ? ... he at least should have asked if you wanted it put together..
    if by negotiated you mean you beat him down on price??? that may explain it.. but my experience is that the eggs are assembled by the dealer.
    do you have a neigbor who is a bit more handy ???
    otherwise call the dealer back it may be worth the money for the piece of mind and the waranty..
    2 pics of bent bolts
    bolts002.jpg

bolts001.jpg

i do understand your position my younger brother has an MBA and in senior director of international market research for an fortune 500. there should be a law preventing him from picking up anything other than a pencil.

good luck
    bill
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    In spite of me being a hands-on guy who assembled all 4 of mine and enjoy the challenges of assembly by never looking at directions I DO understand what you are saying. My dealer charges $50 for assembly and delivery. If you had a good day in the market today either in your personal portfolio, or the fees you charge clients then $50 is mere peanuts. OTOH I'll bet you know some retired dude who would love to help you out for $20 and a 12 pack of brew. You know - from church, the hardware store, or even the guys who mowed your yard all summer while you and your wife lived in your other home by the lake as you have told us about before.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • As our favorite son,Will Rogers, used to say, " Only but stocks that will rise. If a stocks not gonna go up, then don't buy it!" Yeah, we are kinda proud of him around here....
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    im not much of a do it yourself guy either but i have put 4 together over the past couple of years and is not a big deal but you will need a hand putting on the top and stabilizing it to adjust the bands. as stated before, take your time and read your directions well.
  • NoobEgger
    Options
    There are a couple videos on youtube.com if you need help. Also I found a couple of videos on the Big green Egg website that seemed informative. I haven't put one together but plan on doing it Wednesday or Thursday when I get my XL.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If you follow the youtube tutorial I wouldn't follow the 8 bolt part. Follow BGE's instructions.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    My dealer puts them together but doesn't deliver.

I paid more than retail for my first egg.

GG
  • momcooks
    Options
    While hubby helped with the spring bands, I managed to assemble mine. Even hauled it out back, piece by piece of course.
  • safetyman
    Options
    It is very easy to put together, going by the inclosed instructions. To me, being a new owner, I would say the most important item would be to do the 'dollar' test. To make sure your top fits flat on the bottom, also making sure your bolts, on the rings are tight.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    :laugh: no kidding
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle