Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Whole Chickens

Dirty1Dirty1 Posts: 42
edited 10:56AM in EggHead Forum
I have been doing the Beer Butt Chicken thing for a couple months now and they are great. However I have yet to get the nice crunchy skin. The method I have been following is 350 - 400 indirect. I have read that I probably need to get the temp to about 500. Do I need to stay indirect or go direct. I have a drip pie pan underneath my chickens as wel on the grate. Any of your input is appreciated.
Thanks
Dirty1

Comments

• Indirect (plate setter legs up) w/ drip pan. I put my chicky right on the grid, breast side down. I find that there's a little more temperature control if I use Miss Daisy with the slide door all the way open. Still regulate the temp with the bottom vent. Great chicken! Let us know.
  • Great, Good Morning and Thanks.
  • StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    I'd add a suggestion to put spacers between the plate setter and the drip pan to reduce the burning chicken fat syndrome. I use crumbled foil - others use copper elbows.
  • How high above the plate setter do you try to make the drip pan? I've used balls of foil about 3/4 inch I guess, and it still burns. Would love to collect the drippings for gravy, but so far no way.
  • StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    It still burns, but my 1st 500° bird was permeated with the burnt fat flavor. My second (with about 3/4" spacers) less so (though no usable drippings).