Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charred Char Crusted Pork Chops

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, Mr. Big was hopping last night. My wife had pulled out a nice pork loin roast out of the freezer yesterday. When I got home, I fired up Mr. Big and let him take off.[p]I went inside to prep the meat. The roast had a nice quarter-inch fat cap but I trimmed it since the goal was pork chops. I cut six pork chops that were about one and a half inches thick. I then dusted the pork chops with Spicy Southwest Char Crust and sprayed them with olive oil.[p]When Mr. Big hit 800 (quickly I might add), I tossed the chops on. I cooked them for three minutes per side and let them rest for about ten minutes more.[p]In a cast iron frying pan, on the inside heating device, I fried some blue potatoes with onion, garlic, salt and pepper in olive oil and butter. The meal was completed with a simple can of green beans.[p]I was not completely happy with the results of the Pork Chops. The outside of chops was really charred, so much so that the Char Crust had lost its flavor. The meat was a little dry and a little chewy. I think that I just overcooked them. On my small, they would have come out right. I have much to learn about Mr. Big.[p]As usual though, the kids loved them and ate them all gone. As a side note, I sprinkled on some of Elder Ward’s Vinegar Sauce on some of the bites. Tasty.[p]Go Tribe,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, Next time marinate a couple of chops overnight in mustard, then dust with rub, and see if there is a difference. I like chops done like steaks but I think I like em better when done at the 500F range and a tad bit longer on the cook. Like maybe 5 minutes per side and 12 minutes at rest with everything closed up. And your right, the cooking changes from small BGE to the large.
    Cheers..C~W
    2 nice pizza last night and a super Guiness draught beer.
    Go Cyclones...:-)
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char=Woody,[p]I agree with you about doing steaks like chops or vice versa. I also agree with doing them at 500 rather than the steaks 750-800+ temps. Seems to me like the chops have less fat and they need a little time at lower temps to mature.
    In either case a few minutes is all it takes.[p]Tim

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, right on. Last night I did chops at about 600 degrees dome and they turned out about perfect - tender & moist. Life is GOOD!

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Tim M,
    I too have found 500 degrees is where I want to sear chops. It helps too if the chops are pushing 2" thick. That just about insures moist & tender results, unless I screw things up![p]Dr. Chicken