Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carrrrrrrne Asada

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, tonight we had carne asada. It was an excellent meal. Girlfriends coworker picked up the marinated meet at a local Carniceria, it was very good. We did this same meal about 6 months ago, but didn't get any pics of it. Also had homemade guacamole and pico de gallo.
DSCF2908.jpg

DSCF2910.jpg

DSCF2912.jpg

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    No tequila? Nice meal.

I still owe you a call. Will try to get you next week Barrett.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Nice cook--I did some fajitas last weekend, too, along with some homemade pico de gallo and was reminded about it when I saw your pics.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    We had tequilla, we picked about 3 of these bottles while we were in Mexico last year. It was only like 12 bucks there, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise as we were surrounded by agave plants.
    DSCF2917.jpg

Give me a call whenever you get a chance, I know you have been dodging hurricanes(or trying to) and cleaning up debris. I am starting to apply with a lot of the big name oil companies, but that is due to my inexperience in the field. I would just like to talk about companies and what to expect. Thanks for remembering with all that you have going on.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That looks very good.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Good deal Barrett.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Where did the GF buy the meat and what do she ask for at the carniceria? My Spanish is not that great, but if I knew what to call this cut (and premarinated), I could stumble through it. I'm in Alpharetta, but there are plenty of carnicerias in Roswell and Duluth.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Buxwheat,
    She got it off Roswell Rd in Marietta, just east of the big chicken. Across from Psycho tattoo if you know the area. I am sure you could walk into any of these stores and ask for carne asada, por favor. Or you can see it in the meat display case. And tell them how many pieces you like, keey in mind they speak in kilos!! Our comes in a "to-go" looking styrafoam box, wrapped in plastic wrap so the juices dont run. The pieces we get are about a quarter lb a piece. One or two per person should be plenty. Good luck and post pics when you get some.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    I figured it would have been a large whole flank steak or skirt steak rather than chunks. But if you ask for carne asada, it will already be marinated? Cool, I'll have to go by my local carniceria and pick some up. Thanks for the tip. Also, how long did you cook those pieces?
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    It should be already marinated. I probably over cooked them, they tasted fine. Coming from a Mexican meat market... I haven't seen there set up, but I like to play it safe and cook them about a minute per side, splashing the extra marinade on them as I go. There was a good 1/4 cup of marinade in the bottom of the package after you get the steaks out. They tasted great and probably cooked to about the same degree as they would at a restaurant. I get the egg up to about 500 and pretty much cook over an open grill.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    I'm going to put this on my "Must Cook List".
    Thanks