Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg and the Wok

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering buying a wok..and wanted some tips from those that already have one...I will most likely only use it on the egg, I have a large and small egg. I would venture to say that it would only be used on the large....given the fact that the grate is approx. 18 1/4" I would think a 14 or 16" wok would be the right size ??? also with the 2 small handles so it would fit down inside the egg. I`m assuming you set these directly on the coals..I have found a coupke in carbon steel which is what I would most likely want....Any ideas/tips...online shops/ do`s or dont`s......Thanks in advance[p]Wess

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    WessB,[p]I use a 14" wok on my large egg all the time. I use it on the regular cooking grid and it works just fine. I let it heat up with vents wide open and daisy wheel removed. Once the wok is hot, you can open up the egg and stir fry away. I would think it would be difficult to cook with the wok way down in the egg, but I haven't tried it. I also have a grill wok (10", I think") that is circular with folding handle. Very handy.[p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Wess. Been a while.
    This is just my opinion on the wokin' situation, but when I wok on the egg, I like to use the wok with holes so that the flames be lickin' the veggies, or whatever you are cooking. The link below shows the one I want. I have a similar one, but it is not stainless.[p]For regular wok cooking, I have a nice seasoned steel wok, and I don't use it on the egg. Instead, I got me one of those propane turkey fryers, and I can get screamin' temps with it. We cook on it often, and the high heat gives you that true top-Chinese restaurant flavor. You gotta work REAL quick, but it is worth it. Not that you can't get that high of a temp using it on the egg, but the propane cooker is cake to fire up, and doesn't use a ton of fuel. Plus I can be cooking something else on the egg while I stirfry.[p]I know it is not exactly the info you are looking for, but it is something to consider.[p]Hope you and Sally are well.
    Chris

[ul][li]Stainless Grill Wok[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    WessB,
    I bought a couple of woks from Outdoor Home,the one I use the most is the stainless steel one with holes I got from Home Depot.
    Larry

[ul][li]Outdoor Home Woks[/ul]
  • WessB
    JSlot,
    Thanks for the info..I also have one of those round ones with the holes in it made by Grilla gear..[p]Wess

• WessB
    Nature Boy,
    First off..I have never cooked on/in a wok before, just kinda got a hair to try something new, as I said to JSlot I have the one with holes in it and use it all the time for sausage and peppers ( Thanks Jobu )..and I`m yet to join the world of big propane burners, as in turkey fryer, but it`s on my list...We are both doing fine and are winding down the boating season and gearing up for skiing season...Best to you and yours.[p]Wess

• WessB
    YB,
    Thanks for the link, those are more expensive then the carbon ones I found, I can imagine it`s because they are hand hammered..but at least I would know for sure it would fit...Hope to see ya in May.[p]Wess

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Nature Boy, I bought the round one at the bottom o fthe page. I picke dit up at one of the kitchen discount stores for $6.00. It has been great.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    WessB,
    There is a hammered steel wok sold by Barbeques Galore, here in Tucson, that fits perfectly in the Large BGE; BBQ Galore sells it as on of the Green Egg accessories. It fits right on top of the fire-ring, with the grill removed, and the cut-outs on the fire ring allow for the draft.[p]There has been some prior postings about indicating that they work great.[p]If memory serves me right the wok sells for about $45 and it is hammered steel with short handles that will allow it to fit into the Egg. If you like to wok this is the one to get for your Egg

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    WessB,[p]I gots to agree with the Boy of Nature. If you are looking to pick up a wok specifically to use with the Egg, IMHO, you won't be happy unless you get one with holes to let the flame and flavors come through. I have a couple of those SS 12 X 12 inchers shown in his link. (paid too much for the first and found the second on sale).[p]Works great on the Big Egg (of course) and is usuable on the small with no chance of closing the dome. I know you might not want to hear this, but Humpty medium is the perfect wok Egg. This size fits perfectly with the dome closed and the closer proximity of the cooking grid to the coals allows you to really get that puppy sizzling.[p]I just did another round of NB's superb stir-fry along with din-din last night. Although his oyster,mirin sauce rules, Brocholli, onion, shrooms and pineapple is a killer combo.[p]K~G

• Nature Boy,
    Have you used an non-stick wok on the egg? Do you have to burn off the non-stick first, or will the surface take the heat? I thought I read somewhere (K forum?) about using a non-stick wok for a charcoal basket and that you should burn off the non-stick coating first before using it with food. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    KennyG,
    If you use the "wok" with holes in it then aren't you doing the same thing as just grilling?[p]I thought the idea of a wok was to cook in a small amount of very hot oil very quickly.

• Nature Boy
    The Naked Whiz,
    I had a non-stick one that had a kind of enamel-looking coating...it started deteriorating and flaking into my food, so I chucked it and I got a teflon coated one that is burned off pretty good now. Hopefully I did not ingest too much of it. It never started flaking like the enamel (porcelain?) one.[p]For all these reasons I have my eyeball on the stainless one. If you have the non-stick one, burnin' the hell out of it, and scraping the coating off might be the way to go.[p]I think I will ask for the stainless version if santa thinks I've been good.[p]cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    CR,
    Yes, you are correct. The grill wok with the holes simply allows you to grill the marinated veggies over high heat, while tossing them. When you are dealing with a couple hundred chunks of veggies, it just makes the job quick and simple. It is not stirfrying at all. I think the word "wok" would just refer to the large "bowl" shape of the vessel.[p]Hope that helps! Beers to you.
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    KennyG,
    Thanks. I need to try that combo. I have not done broccoli yet with that method. Hmmm. Maybe tonight! Off to the grocery store.[p]The nice thing about broccoli, is it really soaks up the flavors like no other veggy. I bet some chunks of tofu in there would also be a great addition!![p]Nice, chilly beverages to you sir!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • KennyG
    CR,[p]A very good question! I also have a traditional "hand hammered" wok intended for stove-top use. I have used it on the Egg (just as a heat source) and found the end result no better than never leaving the house. It also takes longer to heat up this way as the Egg never claimed to be a replacement for a good old 12-15k BTU gas or electric burner.[p]I believe that NB's method is a great combination of stir-fry and grilling. Obviously, you will need to toss/marinade the veggies in the oil/sauce mixture at least 10 or more minutes ahead of time as opposed to simply throwing the veggies into the wok once the oil begins to smoke. [p]Properly pre-heated (at least 10 minutes @450* or so), the wok does most of the cooking. The flames coming through the holes and kiss/charring the veggies, as well as the "brick oven" flavor effect, are the real benefits in using a grill wok on the Egg.[p]JMHO,[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Nature Boy,[p]Ya Rascal! How can you expect me to believe that you've never tried that exact great stir-fry recipe you once sent me.[p]We've done this dozens of times and many of my party guests have requested to meet you. Not sure how many remembered that request the next day.[p]Many thanks again and again,[p]K~G
    hoisting a glass of fine cork-free boxed wine in your direction as I type

• Nature Boy
    KennyG,
    Heee! You are welcome. That's funny! Hey, I wanna meet your party guests too. Any friend of yours....well, you know.[p]I have done zuchinni and asparagus with the shrooms, pineapple, onions, but not broccoli. Tonight it is broccoli, shrooms, pineapple, orange pepper and onions. And some chicken pieces on another cooker. Maybe some burgers if the twins balk at the repated chicken cooks we have been doing on our new anemic budget![p]Holding a PBR up toward Ohio-way rot now!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Nature Boy,
    I have been to a couple of parties at the KennG ranch,what a blast.I also think your veggie recipe is great.
    Larry