Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Induction Cooktop

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some time ago I posted asking about induction cooktops and a lot of folks seemed interested. I specialize in induction in the steel industry so I have a good understanding of the physics. I couldn't be happier with the choice I made and for anyone considering it for a cooktop I would reccommend it highly. I hopethese pics show up.

0e09237d.jpg
71ec036f.jpg
905a477f.jpg
a46c55ae.jpg
6ccadf67.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    For fear of sounding ignorant aww hell I aint scared, I'm more redneck than Bubba Tim Looks great but what is the technology behind it. To busy eating the Bomba to google it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Pat,

The element generates a high frequency electric current. The current creates a rapidly changing magnetic field. Carbon steel or cast iron become hot in the field because an electrical current is induced into it. This heats the cookware rapidly and what is inside it. It is contollable down a gentle warming or you can just blast stuff in it. It is extremely efficient because no heat is actually created. It is very common in Europe where power is expensive.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    wow steve will have to send this one to my rep. i am sure this will help him explain the induction much easier then his videos cds!! :laugh:

nice stuff,but does it only boil water?? i am just teasing you ....induction ie getting very poppular in kitchens! make life allot easier and safer as well!!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Dude,that's awesome :woohoo: I'm looking for a new clock/heat thingy for wifey :lol: I will look into those,thanks ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Very nice Steve. Sounds like an Egg but no lump :ohmy: Just messing, love it and the house looks great. Hope you finish the little details soon. Thanks again for the Bomba. See you in Atlanta (sorry Maine egg See you in Ocala)
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    It looks great but aren't there a few drawbacks to it? Aren't there some types of cookware that will not work at all with it? Like glass(which I can't think of a stovetop safe example), or what about copper? I have stainless steel clad pans so they would work fine right as they are carbon steel? I have a 1964 original cooktop in the house from when we bought it last year. Hopefully in the next year or so we can upgrade and this looks like a good option.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    AGD,

You are right about the cookware. I have lots of CI and enameled CI. None of my copper or stainless would work. The upside for me is, my ten year old daughter and my sister who is down syndrome can use it with no worries. Stainless clad carbon steel is available pretty cheap.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    Options
    question for ya steve....does the top get hot at all?
    for exemple if you removed the pan after the water boils how hot is the surface? other thing is say you cook for a long time would the top give off heat and melt lets say butter or plastic dish sitting on the opposite burner? many questions but these are things that happens frequently with a regular cook top!
    did you get to see jeff today for the parcel?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mike,

It will simmer a sauce lower than 100*C. I am sure I can hold water at 100*F. I planned to do hot tubbed ribeyes tonight but I got home late. BTW, they didn't winterize my hot tub properly so I've got another fight with the insurance. Damn, we really liked it at this time of year. It's about +4 out right now and the harvest moon is coming up.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mike,

I'm no expert yet. The top gets warm when I use cast iron but only and exactly where the pot was. With cast iron, it is uncomfortable to put your hand on it, with the clad carbon steel, it's not so bad. If you take the pot off the element it shuts down. I have told Brianna she can use it whenever she wants. There is a sensor to shut everything down if the pot goes dry.
    I didn't here from Jeff. Can you call him and get him to call me on my cell. My son is coming up tomorrow from downtown and he could pick it up easily. If not, I could drive down tomorrow morning but I have a fair bit to do for the rest of the day.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    Options
    i will call him right now and tel him to call you tonight.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mike,

Tanya called. My son Scott is going to pick it up before he comes up tomorrow. I picked up a few more things for Beli today. Heavy suitcase again.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON