Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for pork steak

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two thick cut - about 1" - pork steaks with a good deal of fat in them. I would like suggestions on the best way to cook them. I have already seasoned them with Dizzy Dust and mustard and wrapped them in Saran until tomorrow evening. I would like to cook out as much of the fat as I can, so I'm not sure that a turbo-cook is the best approach. What do you eggsperts recommend?

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Steve-O,
    I do them in a very hot egg for about 3:15 a side. I don't know if a lower temp would burn off any of the fat and I don't know how the mustard would react to a lower fire.
    JimW

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    are they boneless? if so, my favorite prep for these is to treat them like babybacks. indirect 250 for 3.5-4 hours or so. then, put it on a hoagie roll with pickles, onions, and sauce. i call it the "big butt sandwich"!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Steve-O,
    I am ssuming your "steaks" are cut from the back of the butt. I do a lot of kabobs from pork butt, and country ribs....which are like strips of thick pork steak from the butt. Turbo is out. I would do them at 225-250 direct over the coals, but keeping the fire very small. At least a couple hours flipping every 20 or 30, until you get through the plateau...maybe 170-180 internal. That should get most of the fat rendered off, and leave you with a very tender, but sliceable meal, with some nice crusting on the exterior from the caramelized Dust![p]Let us know what you end up doing.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ