Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Info on brisket.

Options
Old Salt
Old Salt Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a 9.5 lb packer brisket to cook for Sat dinner at 6 PM. It was trimmed and prepared yesterday afternoon and been marinating using Maurice BBQ honey sauce and TX BBQ Brisket Rub. I'm slow cooking it at 250* but need to know if I should put it on tonight or early in the morning. Also at what temp should I pull it. By standards it should take between 10 and 15 hours.

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Old Salt,

If you go by the 1.5 hour per pound rule of thumb, you're looking at a 15ish hour cook, plus the startup time for the Egg, plus at least an hour or so to rest once you pull it. Sounds to me like you'll want to start it before you go to bed the night before. Work backwards:

6:00 pm: Dinner
    5:45 pm: Unwrap and slice
    4:45 pm: Pull from Egg, foil, wrap in towel,and put in cooler
    1:45 am: Put brisket in Egg
    1:00 am: Start Egg. Let come up to temp and stabilize. Add smoking wood

If it finishes early, you can always leave it in the cooler for more than an hour. However, if you assume a 10 hour cook, and it takes longer, dinner is going to be delayed.

Good luck,

-John
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Your holding time in a cooler can be up to 5 hours with no problems. This is your safty net for cooking times, I think it will be done in 10-11 hours (IMO). Grid temp is a bit lower then your dome temp for the first half of the cook.

Warm the cooler up with a pan of boiling water first. Double wrap in foil with a watered down sauce (use apple juice as a thinning agent) and leave on the Egg for 1 hour before pulling off to insure liquid is nice a hot.

Watch your internal temp in your flat, don't over cook. Point muscle will be a bit behind in temp.

~Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Tripmaker
    Options
    I cooked a 12 lb. packer along side a 9 lb. butt last weekend. Indirect heat dome temp at 240 - 250. The brisket went on at 12:30 am and reached 200 degrees at 11:30 am, when I took it off. Total cooking time of 11 hours. It was hot out of the cooler at 4:30 pm after being wrapped in foil and newspaper.

I still wonder how others have such long cook times at the same temperatures. Using the 1.5 hour per pound rule it should have taken 18 hours. The Boston Butt on the other hand took 13 hours which is right on the mark.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    One good thing about cooking larger pieces of meat is that you can allow a 3 to 5 hours rest period and your meat if wrapped properly will hold it 'hot' until you need to serve.

The rest period is the only thing that saves my butt.

When the meat is done, I wrap in HD Aluminum foil. Then I have a fleece blanket material that I wrap the meat up in. Make sure the foil opening is facing up as juice will form in the foil pouch.

I don't bother with a cooler.

With butts and brisket, I try for at minimum of 45 minutes and up to 5 hours.

I went to walmart and for a few bucks I picked up 2 yards of fleece blanket (stadium blanket) material. The material is about 50 inches wide. I fold in half and wrap the entire piece of material around the meat. Great insulation and hold time.

GG