Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kobe steak left overs

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, some of you guys know that I am just a young lad trying to make it through school. Well, I do have a real job, but I also have a side job working at a catering company. I engage in conversation with our "chefs" who graduated from Johnson and Wales, but I don't critique their work. I am just there to participate in my share of child labor, busing tables, bringing food to guest, taking food from guest and many other things. Well, unloading the van Tuesday night, I am told, we have 600 dollars of beef in this cooler... we had Kobe beef. The amazing scholarly culinary grad, didn't feel confident showing up to this house we did a job at and grilling the steaks on the owners 1000-2000 dollar weber, so he seared them once in the kitchen to get grill marks he felt confident in. Of course I was heart broken these steaks were not being cooked on the egg. He cooked them a second time on the weber, uggghhh. There were 65 guests, mostly from Europe and this CEO spent a crap load of money to impress these people, and they got over cooked Kobe steaks.
So..... as I ramble on in my Red Wine haze. There were several left over steaks, I will admit this was my first chance to try a "Kobe" steak. Not impressed, maybe they were the real deal, but they were wayyyyyyyy over cooked, the fact that it didn't compare to one ribeye or any other steak I have cooked on the egg was just sad.
Well, I did grab one to go and we brought it home and seared it up and combined it with our stirfry.
Here are the results...
DSCF2899.jpg
and what is a good meal without a good audience...
DSCF2905.jpg
It did taste good tonight, but I truly do feel bad for the guy who probably spent 20-30 k on the whole evening and had over cooked steaks that he paid a butt load for.
I had a chance to be within feet of the host while I broke down some of our stuff and I was on the verge of telling the guy about the egg if he didn't already know. Supposedly the weber was his baby, I guess all in all the lesson learned is....
Money can't by happiness.

Comments

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Never had Kobe but have hungrily and greedily munched on several Wygu (sp? sorry) briskets, absolutly like smoked butter!

Walt
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Had no idea about Wagya, but thanks to Wikipedia, I am now informed. That does look good!
  • Cecil
    Options
    Really great eating, my brother in law does some corporate cooks for Lobel's out of New York and I have been fortunate enough to have samples.

Walt
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I will keep an eye out for the name now that I have been enlightened. :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Money Can buy happiest, but it takes the Egg and\or a good Chef to make it shine.

What an idiot!!! This is why I cater with my eggs..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    It is only Kobe if the cow spends the last days of her life in Kobe, Japan and butchered in Kobe. It is Waygu otherwise.

Before Mad Cow started to spread a few ranchers here in the US brought the Waygu cattle here. They were pampered and slaughtered in the same manner as their Japanese cousins. These quickly became known as American Kobe.

Japanese Kobe can now be bought in the US, but it is extremely expensive. American Kobe is expensive, but far cheaper.

Either way that "Chef" should have been shot!!
  • Cecil
    Options
    Jest a waste :(

Walt
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I totally agree, I was saddened when I started seeing these steaks come back on the plates. I saw several steaks that had two bites out of them, what a shame.
    Besides, the chef claimed they only cost 12.50 a lb, is there any way that Kobe beef is that cheep even at the commercial/bulk level??? I would have had some by now on the egg if that was the going price.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I'd love to know where he found American Kobe for 12.50 a pound.

I'll be stocking my freezer with that price.

Crappy Chef and a liar..
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    I too had to Wikipedia waygu, followed by a google search of a waygu brisket. $140 for a 9 pounder! Man oh man would I love to try some of that stuff, especially if it's as good as Cecil says.

Cecil, when you had it, did they even bother with any seasonings/sauces? For the price, I think it would be a crime to do so.
  • Cecil
    Options
    It IS that good but also cooked properly.

Walt
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Firestarter, I'm sure you have learned already in your culinary career that there are many degreed culinary school grads who can't cook worth a damn. Thanks for the story and pix, I hope your future clients have as much interest in your food as the two "hungry diners" you photographed!

I checked online prices and it looks as if a smallish (1/2 lb) wagyu ribeye runs about $50. Big tomahawk steaks can easily break $100. Restaurant pricing? How about the Kobe Club in NYC: a quarter-pound (4 oz.) of American wagyu fillet runs $35, and a 10-oz. Kobe ribeye is $150. Interested in sampling? For $295, there’s an “emperor’s flight” of four ounces each of Kobe fillet and strip loin and 10 ounces of Kobe rib-eye.

Looks as if your getting to take home some of that meat was a bigger payment than your paycheck for the night!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Oh Barrett, the horrors!! You can only do what you can do. You can attempt to straighten out ignorance, but you can't fix stupid.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Todd,
    A wise man I know says that quite often. You can fix ignorance, but you can't fix stupid. Its quite true.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Any other night if I had brought home a cut of meat that expensive I would have earned more in leftovers than the whole night. But the host was very nice and gave each of us a very nice tip. Money that will go to my grilling/food budget :lol: