Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook: Chicken and Zucchini

jimbotron
jimbotron Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a plate setter, but don't yet own gloves. So I couldn't cook my vegetables indirectly and later go direct on my chicken.

So....I wrapped broccoli and corn in aluminum, and put them on direct at 400 for about 10 mins. This was a time saver, since they went in before the egg was ready (it was still spitting white smoke). No problem, because I wrapped them tightly! B)

After 10 mins, I raised temp to 450 and threw on some skinless boneless chicken thighs. They taste better than breasts, and are a fraction of the cost (breasts are so in demand that there's a super abundance of thighs to get rid of). I'm trying to eat healthy, so I don't normally do skin or fat.

There had been no time to marinate the chicken, and I got sidetracked and never doused it with olive oil, yakitori sauce, or anything else while cooking. I flipped after a couple minutes, closed the lid and prayed for no dry-out. Sure enough, the result was PERFECT, and a thousand times better than any previous treatment of this food item. It was as crackly and succulent as if there were skin, and yet totally moist. Wow. I'm a convert. I'm not sure I'll ever sauce or marinate or even season!

I served the thighs over slices of homegrown tomatoes which had been shmeared with baba gounoush, a smokey middle eastern egglplant dip that works like mayo, but adds much better flavor (plus I thought its smokiness would meld well with the grilled chicken) and has a lot less fat and calories. I ate it open on slices of Lithuanian black bread. I bailed on the idea of closed sandwiches, because the bread was a bit too chewy/spongey. I probably should have toasted (on the BGE, maybe) and scrunched it down.

I removed the vegs with the chicken, and they were as if a pro had timed them, too.

Finally, with my BGE empty, I laid on (still direct) slices of zucchini, and doused with olive oil (lots of nasty tarry flames...I guess better to add the olive oil before adding the food to the egg). I also doused with Filipino kalamansi lemon soy sauce (a tangy magic ingredient available in large bottles in all Filipino stores and good big pan-asian markets). It seemed to be taking forever to get done, so I just closed up everything and let them bake, fishing them out just as they were beginning to pucker. Grill marks and everything...really perfect. Some crunchy, some a bit moister, but all tasting far more elegant than they ought to have.

Anyway, could not have been better. Sorry I have no photos, but hopefully there are enough weirdo elements above to give some of you some ideas.

One problem. My egg is in a nest, and I'm having a very tough time figuring out how to align it. At first, the leg was in the way of closing the lower door fully. When I twisted the egg so the leg would allow the door to close, the adjacent leg blocked it from opening! No compromise seems possible, and, in fact, all the twisting in the nest seems to have bent the grips on the sliding door thing. Egg is currently winding down downstairs, with door not quite closed because of this. Hope it's not consuming all my lump....

I need to buy gloves. And tongs. if anyone has a great suggestion (or great deal), I'm all monitor....

thanks for reading!

Comments

• One surprise: I lit coal, leaving BGE open for 10 mins, per instructions. then I closed...and temp shot right up to 450. I didn't expect it to happen that fast.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Wow Jimbo,
    Sounds like a great meal! One advice, get a digital camera so you can post the pics. I agree with you on chix thight instead of the breast. As little chef says, Ya can't kill-em on the grill.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Jim, I agree with the skinnless thigh thing, these thighs are skinnless but don't look (or taste) skinnless.

Regarding the plate setter, I have lifted mine out at 400 or higher in a pinch with doubled up pieces of thick cardboard instead of gloves (torn up empty case of beer), as long as you are careful, you can get it out'a there w/out going to the burn ward ;)

IMG_1585.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    who were you cooking for? An Army?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Zippylip, holy mother of god, my thighs looked nothing like THAT! Dude, you're my hero. any tips for achieving that result?

bubba tim, I actually dropped my digicam at the PA eggfest last weekend, and it's toast. A cool new Exilim comes out in October, and I'll grab one of them.
  • Zippylip
    For good look'n thighs, walk, don't drive, & always take the stairs :laugh:

If you want to make chicken that looks like that, just rub it with olive oil & cook it direct on a raised grid at about 350, 1/2 hour later flip it & that is what you will see (& if you want to eat it, leave it on another 1/2 hour & the other side'l look like that too :cheer: ).
    happy in the hut
  • Yes, I'd like even the photogenically invisible side to be edible. I'm a pragmatist that way....

Hey, I'm amazed your stuff was on for a cumulative hour at 350. Mine was done and in peril of being overdone in a couple minutes at 425. I guess that's why you raise the grid. How do you raise the grid, btw?
  • Zippylip
    I made one for a couple bucks, went to Home Depot & picked up a regular grill for a Weber (whatever size you need), 4 bolts (3 or 4 inches in length, however high you want it), & 8 large washers. Put a washer on each bolt & slide through the grate, then another washer & a bolt, that's it (basically you want to bring the grid level up to the level of the felt). Mine is filthy, but you'll get the idea:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg
    happy in the hut
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Sounds like a great first cook.

I use fireplace gloves that I buy for a couple bucks a pair. They are insulated and thick leather. They tend to last quite while. Not foolproof, but easy to use.

As for tongs, I absolutely love the OXO Good Grips. I have several pair in a couple different lenghths and have never found any that work better or more comfortably. They aren't the cheapest, but you didn't buy a cheap cooker, did you?
  • Thanks, Fidel

Fidel wrote:
    I use fireplace gloves that I buy for a couple bucks a pair. They are insulated and thick leather. They tend to last quite while. Not foolproof, but easy to use.

Is the "not foolproof" part in any way related to the not-scorching-my-hands-on-the-thousand-degree-ceramic issue?
    As for tongs, I absolutely love the OXO Good Grips. I have several pair in a couple different lenghths and have never found any that work better or more comfortably. They aren't the cheapest, but you didn't buy a cheap cooker, did you?

Nope, but I'm always up for bargain-priced quality! :)
  • Zippylip wrote:
    Mine is filthy, but you'll get the idea:

You really need to order a BGE grate-licking dog....

I like the solution. I'll do it!
  • Fidel wrote:

I second Fidel on the OXO Good Grips. As far as getting a deal, watch the newspaper for the 20% off coupons at Linens-n-Things or Bed-Bath-and-Beyond. It seems like every week there's a coupon for one of 'em, and each store accepts competitor coupons. A nice $20 set of tongs comes down to $16, which is even nicer. :)
  • Ah, cool. I have a ton of BBB coupons (they always take expired ones). BBB has slim pickin's in grill stuff, glad to hear they stock this. Thanks!
  • One problem. My egg is in a nest, and I'm having a very tough time figuring out how to align it. At first, the leg was in the way of closing the lower door fully. When I twisted the egg so the leg would allow the door to close, the adjacent leg blocked it from opening! No compromise seems possible, and, in fact, all the twisting in the nest seems to have bent the grips on the sliding door thing. Egg is currently winding down downstairs, with door not quite closed because of this. Hope it's not consuming all my lump....

I need to buy gloves. And tongs. if anyone has a great suggestion (or great deal), I'm all monitor....

Sounds like a good meal. As far as your problem is concerned: unless you have the wrong sized nest for your egg (very unlikely), then you should have no problem fixing the nest/draft door problem; there is ample room for the draft door to fit between the nest's arms. let your egg cool completely and then rotate so it fits perfectly. As far as the bent tabs, the steel is fairly pliable and you can fix the bend.
    the BGE pigtail meat flipper is a nice tool because it is extremely long and has a wooden handle, unlike a short pair of tongs. i use regular leather work gloves and an Ove Glove.
    if you can post some pics of the problem, we might be better able to help you.
  • Thanks, yeah, I'll post pix when I get a camera.

Hmmm...the Ove Glove is only good up to 540 degrees....so I wouldn't want to use it to swap in/out a plate setter (I guess you do the heavy lifting with the leather one). I'm only reckless at 400 degrees and below!

Update: huh...the BGE neoprene glove is only good up to 500 degrees, too!
  • jimbotron,
    it's not like i'm running around with a 600 degree PS in my hands. just taking it out, setting it down;picking it up, setting it down. if you are really worried about searing your hands, get some okra gloves.