Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need the skinny on Maurice's BBQ Sauce

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the 2 below bottles of sauce & have never seen or tasted a mustard based sauce such as these. Shaking the bottle I notice that its much thinner than the typical, gloppy, corn syrup laden sauces that I usually see (up here in Yankee Country), & it looks like the consistency of what I make for myself (which is about 1/3 apple cider vinegar), but mine is always tomato based. Reading the ingredients I am happy to see the primary ingredient is apple cider vinegar, followed by mustard, peppers... no syrup at all, in fact it actually has sugar in it instead :cheer: .

Bottom line is I cannot wait to try this stuff but don't want to waste it, any recommendations on what to s slather with it & so forth?

IMG_1666.jpg
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• The Carolina Gold is my favorite for pork.......I just love it. My niece, from South Carolina gave me a case for Christmas. I haven't tried the Hickory Recipe....I'll have to wait for your opinion.

eenie meenie
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Big un sent me 3 bottles and they are great. Better if served on the side but have cooked them in on country & spare ribs and tasted great. They just don't glaze that much on the grill but the taste is fantastic.

Top right has the Maurice's

101_2252.jpg

the country ribs

101_2223.jpg
  • I'm doing a brisket tomorrow evening and my wife worked on it using Maurice honey sauce instead of mustard and used TX BBQ Brisket rub. We'll find out Saturday afternoon what it's like. It'll be marinating for about 24 hours in it.

Which reminds me. It's 9.5 lbs so at what temp should I take it off. I'm going for 250* dome.
  • Zippylip
    I suspected the side-sauce thing, the stuff I make is too thin to actually coat meat for caramalizing purposes, I make it to serve along side of dry-rubbed ribs, butts & briskets...
    happy in the hut
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Zippy,so far,I've only tried it on beef shortribs.They were pretty good though :woohoo: ;) I still have to eggsperiment with it :whistle::)

014-12.jpg
  • Zippy, I meant to add that I've only used it on the side for pulled pork.
    eenie meenie
  • Zippylip
    How about chilled in a snifter as an apertif?
    happy in the hut
  • I used to live in SC and would buy it alot. That was one of my favorites. I seem to recall a Maurice's BBQ restaurant too. I haven't seen it in GA where I live - so close and yet so far...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    There are 7 or 8 of them around Columbia. Not great BBQ, but their hash is pretty good.

The sauce is good on pulled pork and chicken parts. I've also used it occasionally on pork chops. I've never used it on beef.
  • OK for a mustard base sauce. but after reading the bio on the guy after doing a google search it kinda took the zest out of the product for me due to the read.
    check it out and make your own decisions.
  • I actually ate at Maurice's in SC.

It is very strange to have your ribs come to the table "yellow".

They were great.

Greg
  • Well, given my handle I suppose I have an obligation to speak up on this one...

First, in response to the OP, the Carolina Gold is usually used as a finishing sauce only. It's a table condiment with pulled pork and chicken. Beef brisket isn't as common here in the Lowcountry area, but the Gold goes very well with pulled pork if you like a sweet sauce. And I agree, the use of sugar instead of HFCS definitely bumps it up a notch or three. Also, the usual North Carolina mustard/vinegar recipes taste quite different from Bessinger's Carolina Gold, a uniquely South Carolina sauce, but that's another thread for another day.

The controversy over Maurice, however, can't be ignored. As Faulkner wrote, in the South the past isn't over, it isn't even past. You need a scorecard to follow this, but I will give it a try. Keep in mind that Southerners typically don't welcome outsiders into family squabbles :blush: , so the facts in the open are a bit limited.

Daddy Bessinger (Joe) came up with the family sauce recipe back in the early 20th century. The several sons, including Maurice, each serve it in their various restaurants around the state. Maurice has half a dozen or so restaurants around the state capital, Columbia, including his flagship, the Piggie Park. I stopped by once, was not particularly impressed with the food or the service. Maurice was also successful for a time selling his bottled sauce at Southern grocery chains (Piggly Wiggly) and WalMart. Here, however, is where the controversy begins...

Maurice has been an ardent supporter of Confederate flags and what is referred to in some quarters as "states' rights" politics. Maurice displays these flags extensively at the Piggy Park, with an enormous one hoisted above the restaurant where the US flag originally appeared. Around the year 2000, the state legislature went through a considerable brouhaha about the display of the Confederate Stars-and-Bars flag atop the state capitol building. The legislature eventually decided to move it to a separate flagpole/memorial elsewhere on the Capitol grounds (ironically, the new position makes it even more prominent). The state, incidentally, is still, eight years later, under an NAACP boycott because that group views the negotiated compromise as an inadequate resolution. Getting back to the Piggy Park, along with the flags there was also some distribution and sale of CSA (Confederate States of America) memorabilia and pamphlets within the restaurant (I have not seen these pamphlets personally, but it is generally accepted in the lore that they did exist). Some of these publications allegedly suggested that perhaps slavery wasn't so bad, as it managed to save folks from heathen lives in Africa. As you might imagine, it was only a matter of time until the porkbutt hit the fan, so to speak, and predictable economic pressures were brought to bear such that WalMart dropped Maurice's bottled sauce and his wholesale biz fell apart.

Unfortunately for the Bessingers, Maurice's various public pronouncements and behavior during this controversy brought a certain notoriety to the family name, and hurt the businesses of his family members elsewhere in the state who had their own restaurants and had nothing to do with Maurice's politics.

My impression is that the several other brothers (one of whose restaurants I enjoy regularly in Charleston, that restaurant having been cited by Emeril Lagasse as making the best cheeseburger in America) are nothing like Maurice and avoid discussing the topic whenever possible, as they wish merely to make good Q and serve their daddy's sauce.

So...my personal choice is that I gladly enjoy the Bessinger's sauce at the restaurants of the other Bessinger brothers...but not at Maurice's Piggy Park. As for yourself, buy the sauce, you bought the controversy.
  • where can I get these sauces from?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    This is where I buy it from:

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/

As to Charleston Dave's comments we recently sent pulled pork to our Yankee friends in NJ. When we went up to visit we brought Maurice's BBQ Sauce & Blues Hog. On the back of Maurices Sauce they have the confederate flag and a few states rights comments..I thought our Northern friends were going to bust a gut...I told them that is some serious business down south... :P

I like the sauce no matter what the politics...and so did the Yankees... B)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Charleston Dave wrote:
    Well, given my handle I suppose I have an obligation to speak up on this one...

First, in response to the OP, the Carolina Gold is usually used as a finishing sauce only. It's a table condiment with pulled pork and chicken. Beef brisket isn't as common here in the Lowcountry area, but the Gold goes very well with pulled pork if you like a sweet sauce. And I agree, the use of sugar instead of HFCS definitely bumps it up a notch or three. Also, the usual North Carolina mustard/vinegar recipes taste quite different from Bessinger's Carolina Gold, a uniquely South Carolina sauce, but that's another thread for another day.

The controversy over Maurice, however, can't be ignored. As Faulkner wrote, in the South the past isn't over, it isn't even past. You need a scorecard to follow this, but I will give it a try. Keep in mind that Southerners typically don't welcome outsiders into family squabbles :blush: , so the facts in the open are a bit limited.

Daddy Bessinger (Joe) came up with the family sauce recipe back in the early 20th century. The several sons, including Maurice, each serve it in their various restaurants around the state. Maurice has half a dozen or so restaurants around the state capital, Columbia, including his flagship, the Piggie Park. I stopped by once, was not particularly impressed with the food or the service. Maurice was also successful for a time selling his bottled sauce at Southern grocery chains (Piggly Wiggly) and WalMart. Here, however, is where the controversy begins...

Maurice has been an ardent supporter of Confederate flags and what is referred to in some quarters as "states' rights" politics. Maurice displays these flags extensively at the Piggy Park, with an enormous one hoisted above the restaurant where the US flag originally appeared. Around the year 2000, the state legislature went through a considerable brouhaha about the display of the Confederate Stars-and-Bars flag atop the state capitol building. The legislature eventually decided to move it to a separate flagpole/memorial elsewhere on the Capitol grounds (ironically, the new position makes it even more prominent). The state, incidentally, is still, eight years later, under an NAACP boycott because that group views the negotiated compromise as an inadequate resolution. Getting back to the Piggy Park, along with the flags there was also some distribution and sale of CSA (Confederate States of America) memorabilia and pamphlets within the restaurant (I have not seen these pamphlets personally, but it is generally accepted in the lore that they did exist). Some of these publications allegedly suggested that perhaps slavery wasn't so bad, as it managed to save folks from heathen lives in Africa. As you might imagine, it was only a matter of time until the porkbutt hit the fan, so to speak, and predictable economic pressures were brought to bear such that WalMart dropped Maurice's bottled sauce and his wholesale biz fell apart.

Unfortunately for the Bessingers, Maurice's various public pronouncements and behavior during this controversy brought a certain notoriety to the family name, and hurt the businesses of his family members elsewhere in the state who had their own restaurants and had nothing to do with Maurice's politics.

My impression is that the several other brothers (one of whose restaurants I enjoy regularly in Charleston, that restaurant having been cited by Emeril Lagasse as making the best cheeseburger in America) are nothing like Maurice and avoid discussing the topic whenever possible, as they wish merely to make good Q and serve their daddy's sauce.

So...my personal choice is that I gladly enjoy the Bessinger's sauce at the restaurants of the other Bessinger brothers...but not at Maurice's Piggy Park. As for yourself, buy the sauce, you bought the controversy.

interesting information. thanks for posting.
  • pulled pork sandwich and coleslaw
  • vidalia1 wrote:
    I like the sauce no matter what the politics...and so did the Yankees... B)

I make a point of taking out-of-town visitors to a local Bessinger's that is owned by a different brother than Maurice. The Carolina Gold mustard sauce on a pulled pork sandwich is always a hit; folks who have never tasted proper BBQ (the McRib fans, you know the type) find it a revelation and are absolutely dumbfounded because it's not the gloppy, sugary mess that they thought was BBQ.

The menu offers pulled pork, ribs, chicken and burgers. I wasn't kidding about the Emeril endorsement; the smoked cheeseburger is over the top. Popular side items are cole slaw, BBQ hash, baked beans, fried okra, French fries. Plates come with a massive single onion ring as garnish. This Bessinger's restaurant offers unlimited self-serve pickled jalapeños, pickle slices, and giardiniera. Southern sweet tea (the kind that is so sweet it makes your teeth hurt) and Coca-Cola products to drink, no alcohol served. There's also a drive-thru window that always has a line after work.

Like I said, nobody has problems with the sauce...if folks want me to bring a few bottles to Eggtoberfest let me know.