Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ready for BUTT

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yep, another BUTT hits the egg here in a few hours. I all 6.5 pounds of her sitting in french's and something close to JJ's rub. She's get thrown on the egg sometime this afternoon so that I can have a midafternoon snack of pulled pork prior to dinner tomorrow night.[p]I'll cook at about 220-240 until I hit 200 internal. I'm planning on using some hickory chunks this cook -- my first try with chunks and a low 'n slow cook -- I'm expecting GREAT results.[p]come on over if ya want tomorrow night for some hoops and Q.[p]Hope everyone has a wonderful EGG filled weekend.[p]Bama Fire[p]

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Sounds good to me! I'm cooking ribs for tomorrow! My FIL goes nuts over them! Next time though, it will be NB's Mahogany Ribs! Gotta try that one out![p]Good Q'ing and hope the PP turns out like mine did last weekend! (gone in two sittings!)[p]Dr. Chicken

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Man am I bummed. Our friends made a reservation at the locak SPORTS BAR to eat and watch the game. I told them that I could have cooked better food on the EGG, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO they want the atmosphere. Love em to death but some people don't have their priorities straight. I may go out and fire it up now just for the smell.[p]MAC

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Options
    Bama Fire, great minds run in the same gutters! Am doing the same thing this weekend my self--picked up a 5+ pound butt a little while ago and plan to cook it the same. At 220, when should a fellow put it on to get a meal tomorrow night? Do you put bricks under your drip pan? Geez, with all these questions all the time I must sound like Andy Rooney!
    Thanks,
    Kona Tim

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S10_14_9922_55_00.jpg
    <p />kona tim, the link will take you to a page outlining my 1st attempt at PP, a 5.5 lb Butt - it took 18 hours - the starting time, ending time and internal temperatures are posted - I have a Medium BGE but I doubt if there is much difference on a large. [p]Good luck and let us know the results - also post any questions that you have along the way.[p]
    [ul][li]1st Butt[/ul]
  • Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks for the info and photos!----Can't tell from the pics, but where did you put the drip pan? Over bricks and such?[p]Kona Tim

• Bama Fire
    Options
    kona tim,
    Yep -- i'll put a drip pan, filled with beer and water, under the butt. I'll set the drip pan on a pizza stone. The rule of thumb i've heard battered about is 3 hours a pound. I think that's about right. I've cooked several 6 pounders and they've taken for 15 to 22 hours to cook. That doesn't really help, does it?[p]I'm gonna put mine on around 5 oclock this afternoon to that it'll be ready for lunch or by mid-afternoon. If you want yours ready for 6 pm or so, I'd put it on around 9 or 10. Once your internal temp hits 160, you can kick up the dome temp to 300 to finish off the cook. If you get in a real hurry, you can wrap the butt in foil.[p]good luck![p]I'll check the board from home if you have any more questions.[p]Bama Fire

• Bama Fire
    Options
    MAC,
    You could throw on some wings for an appetizer! Good food and you'd smell like smoke -- an added bonus.[p]B~F

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_25_9906_24_04.jpg
    <p />kona tim, I use 4 firebricks positionaed as |__| with the drip pan positioned between the 2 upright bricks - a 2nd grid site atop the 2 upright bricks. The "Link" shows a picture of the configuration. Good luck!

[ul][li]FireBricks[/ul]