Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small with nest size question

FSUScotsman
FSUScotsman Posts: 754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having trouble making sense with my dealer over the phone. How tall is the small inside it's nest? This is the follow up to my tailgait question. I've pretty much decided to go with the small. I've seen some of the wooden transports but I think that wouldn't work for me now, as I'm still going to use it on my deck in the back of the house. I just want to make sure the size with the nest will fit in the car.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i wouldnt bring the nest, i would just set the egg on a paver, thats all i use at home
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • How hard is it to take in and out of the nest. What is the procedure? I have a large, but it's never been out of it's nest.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    for the price of the nest (very close) you can get the rack from Sam's Club
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I think Mickey is talking about this one. Set the small on the middle shelf, leave the top shelf off, or put on a wood top. However you should be able to take the small and nest to a game...and lift it out of the car and onto the nest. i think the weight is 70lbs

good luck
    allen
    stainlesscart.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i dont own a nest for either the large or small, they both sit on the ground on pavers. i did make a carrier for the large that looks similar to a nest and i can get the large in and out of it myself by laying the egg on its side and slipping the carrier on and then standing it up. if you had 2 people it would be easy, one and you will have to work at it. i dont believe an egg in a nest will fit in any car
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • That cart wouldn't work for me sometimes. I have a Cooper convertible. I can lay the back seats down flat, and put the Egg there and then close the top again.

I guess I just now need to know about how easy it is to take the small in and out of the nest. I mean, my large is clamped to it's nest. Is the small that way or can it just rest there?
  • Put my small in a carrier just like the others you have seen posted and took it on the road. Set the carrier on my tailgate, pulled the fire ring and fire box out of the Egg and then set it in the carrier. Put the internals back in and scooted it in to the truck. I have an Avalanche and I have to take the rain cap off for it to fit under the cover. I don't see how a small in a nest could be transported in a car.

BTW - you can have my portion of haggis Jimmy. :laugh:
  • Go ahead and get that combo...you won't have to stoop down as low as if it were sitting on the ground. I cook on large and small eggs, and really both are great. The SBGE will do you good for tailgating, though.

Here it is standing next to my gas grill, er...storage unit :)
    IMG_0049.jpg

Here's another shot next to the storage unit:
    IMG_9315.jpg

Here it is next to the LBGE:
    IMG_9268.jpg
  • I don't have a clue as I don't know how tall it is. The inside of convertible Cooper is pretty roomy but if the small comes out of it's nest easily I would just as soon do that. I just know that a mini wouldn't work for us.
  • WOW!! I didn't realize how much shorter the small was than the large!! I think that's the way I'm going to go and then at some point put some larger wheels on it, like I did my large.

Thanks.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mike, what is the meat?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Haggis stuffing!!! :P
  • Haggis Stuffing!? Everything except the BAAAAAA is stuffed in to a sheeps bladder. Pour a bunch of Glenlivet over it and it's barely tolerable. :laugh:

The small measures 23" tall with the rain cap and without the feet. If you remove the rain cap it measures 22-1/4". Plus or minus a wee bit.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    The small egg is very easy to lift out of the nest.It weights abut 65 lbs.

Larry
  • Mickey,

Here is what you saw:
    1-frenched prime rib
    2-giant ribeye

Both came from HEB. We have a really good meat counter at the store by my house.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    FSU,

I take my small out of the nest all the time when we go camping. I put it in a wheelbarrow and wheel it around to the car. I put the small in the backseat and strap it in a seat belt. I take the nest and put it in the trunk of the car.

If you are doing this for tailgating you must be careful as many schools do not allow charcoal (lump or briquettes) also the cool down time is a factor...my 2 cents...
  • Answer to the question 38". Floor to top of Daisey wheel.
    Doug
  • That will actually fit in the Cooper I think!!! You all would be surprised what will fit in a Mini. I'm 6'4" and if the seat is all the way back I can't reach to get the clutch all the way in.
  • Excuse me, but it's a sheep's stomach!!! And if you are going to marinate it at least use GOOD scotch!!! Maybe some Laiphroigh or Ardbeg.

:silly:
  • The small weighs in at 65 pounds, officially. It may be a pound or two heavier with variances in construction. It stands (I think -- I'll measure mine when I get home) around 30 to 36 inches tall without the nest. The grid is listed at 13 inches in diameter, so the egg should be somewhere around 15 to 16 inches in diameter.

Note that NONE of the various egg sizes are physically attached to the nests - they're all held in by gravity alone.

Also, if you pull the egg out of the nest and loosen the two mid-line bolts in the nest it will almost fold flat.

The large, at 140 pounds, will fit in the passenger seat of just about any car; I've seen them loaded into Honda Accords several times. So a small should fit in the back of a mini.

Tom
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    This is what you need...
    small4.jpg
    small5.jpg
    small6.jpg
  • LOL!!! This may be what I need, but then I would have to buy a truck!!! There is no WAY that you are ever gonna see this boy drive a truck!!!!