Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokin in the snow

Drivr
Drivr Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
eggsnow.jpg
<p />It is freezing outside and snowing with heavy winds and I just put 2 7.5 pound butts on the egg. Could never do that with my old WSM.

Comments

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Drivr,
    Looks very similar to what the weather looks like here today in Vermont. I actually look forward to my first "snow cook" each year. The looks I get from people walking by as the smake is rising as fast as the snow is coming down is worth it!

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Drivr,[p]With all due respect, you are simply.......WRONG!!![p]I have been cooking in snow(actually blizzards with driving winds) for the last 6 years with the WSM. This includes many tailgaters at Lambeau Field in Dec. and Jan. Also have used it several times at deer camp in the UP....doesn't get much farther north than that.[p]This coming week I am cooking 2, 50-person rib parties...I will be outdoors...temps expected in the 20's.[p]So, you can indeed cook year-round with the WSM....as many, many others will also attest.[p]Stogie[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Stogie,
    Curious, do you have a little blanky for it?? I have seen pictures of WSMs with insulation blankets. I would think you would go through plenty of fuel without some insulation. Is that the case??[p]Happy fooball day to ya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Nature Boy,[p]I never use a blanket, but a wind shield can be handy if it is windy. I often just use my large gas grill for this wind shield or when cooking parties, my EZ-UP serves as a shield.[p]I have not noticed too much of a difference in charcoal consumption, though I imagine you are correct in that you are bound to use more.[p]I used to use water heater insulation on my old electric unit..it worked very good and did not burn or melt.[p]Stogie
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Stogie,
    My problem was I was always running out of fuel when it was real windy and snow/raining like last night and this morning on just a cold night I could do these kind of cooks on my WSM but I gave it away after getting the egg.

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Drivr,[p]I'am cooking myself in the smow today here in Southern Ontario Canada. I'am cooking 6 goose breast right now and a small roast of beef for dinner later. It has been snowing here since last night, but the temp. is a little high so most of the snow is melting with only a little on the ground.[p]Happy Cooking
    RayS