Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rubbing alcohol method

Options
gtalvola
gtalvola Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Regarding the rubbing alcohol method described here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U

I've found that there's no need to use a syringe to apply the alcohol. Instead, I just put 60 ml of the rubbing alcohol into a pyrex measuring cup and just gently pour it directly onto the charcoal in a 6-8 inch circular area in the center of the lump. Then I light the alcohol using a fireplace match and once it's lit I toss a few extra pieces of fresh lump into the flames and close the lid. It couldn't be any easier and this seems to me to actually start the fire quicker than the syringe method.

Also, since I have had trouble getting Wicked Good charcoal to light, what I've been doing is to load up most of the egg with my Wicked Good, except that I place some easier to light lump (I'm currently using Basques) in the center where the alcohol is going to be applied. This works fine.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know.

"to me to actually start the fire quicker than the syringe method"

Do you just feel 2 oz of alcohol 'dumping' is quicker or have you actually done some recorded tests?

GG
  • momcooks
    Options
    I just put a sprayer in the rubbing alcohol bottle and spray it in. I took the mister nozzel off and spray in the same size circle recommende. About 15+ sprays, maybe more work spraying, but no measuring.
  • gtalvola
    Options
    GG, I mean that for me, more coals seemed to get lit and the fire was up to temperature more quickly when I just poured on the alcohol instead of using the syringe. This is just my impression, not scientific at all.

My guess is that I was able to apply and then light the alcohol more quickly so less of it evaporated away unused. If you are quick with the syringe then there probably wouldn't be any difference.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    gtalvola,

Not criticizing, just wondering. I tried alcohol 4 or 5 times and had to end up using the MAPP to get the lump going with Royal Oak. At first, I think I was putting the alcohol in too big of a circle.

I am still wondering about the lump alcohol absorption vs alcohol evaporation with regards to time to wait before lighting.

Using alcohol has a real advantage over using oil/paper towel.

More questions than answers... GG
  • 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    I’ve never tried lighting a fire like this but I do know this from working with rubbing alcohol. The plastic bottles we get have a foil barrier under the cap. You can just poke a single hole in the foil and spray a measured amount.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    I use alcohol all the time. I also use a fire log and cut a couple of hunks off and out it under some of the coals,(One log last a long time) I do not measure the alcohol just sprinkle and light. Stand back!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Haven't tried the alcohol method yet. Been using the oil/paper towel method with good success.

I'll have to give it a shot.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    When you try the alcohol, make sure you have the 91% or above which can be picked up pretty cheap at Walmart.

Use about 80ml (2oz) and spread it in somewhat a small diameter circle - 8 to 10 inch.

Let it soak in a little, I wait 5 or so seconds and light with a long neck bbq starter.

Expect a 'whoosh - flair up'. I leave the dome open for 3 to 5 minutes then close the dome. I probably don't need state, lower vent wide open and no dome restriction.

As with paper towel/oil or starter cube there will be the quick rise in dome temp than the expected fall off.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    One of the big advantages of alcohol lighting is that of Propane and MAPP, which is a clean start.

Be aware without care using alcohol can be dangerous.

Using paper towel/oil will cause an initial black smoke during the burning of the oil & paper. That produces soot which can be seen in the initial dark smoke. That smoke has a potential of coating the inside of the egg.

Alcohol, Propane, MAPP eliminates that initial soot type smoke. All three are 'clean burn' type starters.

I have some good timed tests on starting with oil/paper towel. As soon as I get the medium put back together I will do some timed tests lighting with alcohol. I think this is going to be a good comparison lighting test.

It seems like using oil/paper start is less expensive than alcohol, it that is a point of concern.

GG
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I just don't like the smell of burning paper towels - simple as that. I was using the Weber (white) starter cubes, but I don't like how they break apart sometimes (so there might be an uncombusted piece or two scattered among the lump). Currently I'm using Rutland (same as BGE Brand) pressed sawdust/wax starters, but they produce a lot of smoke. I'm not worried that they don't go away, but I am in a condo situation and try to minimize smoke to cooking smoke. Don't intend to go propane or MAPP, so I should try this alcohol method.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Stanley,

After the initial burn off I do get some of the white smoke. I haven't taken much notice of how much or how long white smoke, but thinking about off the cuff I would say less.

2 oz (80ml) in about a 8 to 10 inch diameter circle, let it absorb a short time then light. There will be an initial 'whoosh' so be prepared.

This will give you a one spot light.

I have been trying about 1-1/2 oz. in two different spots.

The only time I have encountered a poor light is when I spread the alcohol in too wide of a circle.

A word of caution, probably doesn't need to be said, make sure the bottle of alcohol is capped and away from the flame & starter.

Kent
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't know how you are doing the oil/paper thing, but i don't get any smoke. is the paper soaked? shouldn't be

gotta think that after cooking on the egg a month, the amount of soot attributable to paper and oil versus fat and food smoke would not only be negligible, but impossible to discern.

all i know is it's fast, it's really not possible to run out of materials on hand, and that it throws an awful lot of flame, which is what gets the lump going.

just my 2 cents
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Ok, I just finished my first keg :blink: are you saying don't light an egg after drinking? hic.. :huh:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Just hold your breath...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Stike,

What type of oil are you using.

I use two 1/2 pieces of paper towel and the amount of oil is much like your pictures.

My assumption of soot is two fold. I do get a black smoke for the burn of the paper towel up to almost the initial peak of the temp.

When I was doing all those tests on the medium the dome was new. The dome 'seemed' to get blacker with fewer burns. The black on the underside of the dome could be wiped off onto paper towel easier than when wiping off of my large dome which has a lot of cooks.

Yes, this is very subjective and more of a visual interpretation of the start up smoke.

I am going to run a test with starting with alcohol as compared to oil/paper towel in the next short while.

I fully expect the oil/paper towel to be a quicker light.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i have always experienced super fast lighting with the paper towel trick. then, this summer, i had a string of fires where the egg just would not budge. this happened even with new/different lump, after i cleaned out the egg, top wide open, or top shut dampers open. was really strange. i had essexco and his wife here one night and after a HALF HOUR i even added two more paper towel starters. really weird.

usually it's a ten minute wait max til it hits 700+.

only thin i can attribute it to (but can't really test) was all the rain. damp lump (i store it outside) or a waterlogged egg? dunno.

but it was weird.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I have been using the alcohol method pretty regularly; I have a plastic syringe so I’ve used the injection system. This is a 30 seconds process.I have had the same problem as gtalvola with Wicked. I might try the mixed charcoal trick.
    I like the clean start. I don’t know how much soot is left but I’m a type A as far as the fuel goes.
    I sort my lump mostly because I hate uncarbonized charcoal and the sooty smoke it gives off. I don’t like smoldering junk in there even if it is burned off by the time I cook.
    The only added technique is that I fan the alcohol injected fuel with a newspaper, I think this blows away some of the fumes, then I toss the match. I still get a little woosh of flame but I think it’s better if I fan it first.
    TTFN WLL
  • Bama Boy
    Options
    Does the alcohol give the food any type of weird flavor or does it burn off fairly quickly? I've used pieces of lighter logs before and it gives off an oder.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I did all sorts of research and testing to come up with the isopropyl alcohol method. In all cases where I had trouble lighting the lump, the cause was one or more of the following:

- Tried to get by with 50-70% rubbing alcohol which can work but you have to use far too much of it. This ultimately costs more and is less safe so avoid it.

- Didn't apply enough of the 91% rubbing alcohol at first. 60 ml works every single time for me. A little more (80 ml) will light the lump a bit faster but too much more and the flare ups will be extreme and you get into the danger zone.

- Didn't inject the rubbing alcohol down into the lump. Tried just pouring or sprinkling it on the surface. This increases the evaporation and makes most of the heat go right up and out the dome instead of passing through the lump to get it burning. Try holding a piece of paper vertically and light it with a match from the top corner. It burns very slowly downward and may even go out. Now try lighting it from the bottom corner and the entire sheet is engulfed in seconds. Same concept applies to the lump. Inject the alcohol down inside the lump by at least 1", or apply the alcohol and then quickly stack some more lump on top.

- Lit the egg to soon or too late after applying the alcohol. Too soon and you get much more flare up, faster burn time because the alcohol has not soaked into the lump yet. Too late and much of the alcohol has evaporated so not enough remains to light the lump. After injecting the alcohol I only wait 10-15 seconds which is just long enough to put the cap on the bottle and move it and the syringe away from the egg before I toss in the match.

- Used damp lump or had clogged air holes in the egg. A clean egg with good air flow and dry lump is needed. Anything less and it will be much harder to light or it won't light at all.

- Left the dome open after lighting the alcohol. This allows too much air into the egg which makes the alcohol burn off much faster and allows more heat to escape quickly. Close the dome as soon as you toss in the match. If the fire goes completely out then you have an airflow problem - check your vents and clean your egg.

As explained in the video, I selected Isopropyl Alcohol because it has a totally clean combustion reaction which does not yield soot, fumes, residue, or toxic chemicals. Pure alcohol would not work well because it evaporates too fast and may contain traces of toxic elements used during the purification process. Low-grade mixtures don't work well because they have too much water which slows down the combustion and most of the heat goes into boiling off the water. 91% is just right.

I also disagree that MAPP or propane are clean methods. They cause tons of sparks which fly up in the air and settle inside and outside the egg as small specks of ash. Some of these ash specks got on my food and some of the hot sparks burnt tiny holes through the mesh screen panels on my outdoor shade tent.

I have been using nothing but Wicked Good for the past 6 months and never had a single failure to light with 91% rubbing alcohol as shown in the video. This is so easy and quick that I don't even think about it anymore. If you are having troubles then check all of the above, or go back and watch the video again carefully from start to finish.

Now that I have a BBQ Guru it is even faster as I turn the fan on immediately after lighting the egg. I would be willing to bet that I can beat or at least tie the MAPP or propane method for getting up to cooking temps fast in this manner.