Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help installing a new SS damper door

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks. I have an OLD medium egg...with the older black steel damper door. It is rusted and operates poorly. I purchased a new damper today. Anybody done this replacement before? Did you use high temp silocone? Any suggestions on applying and installing would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
Kansas City

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    really a pretty easy task. you may have to drill out if not saw off the old bolts. Then scrape old adhesive off and bolt on the new one after laying down a line of high temp silicone on the door frame itself. Be sure to use stainless steel nuts and bolts that should have come with it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Jason,

This questions comes up once in a while. I have not seen any definitive answer.

I would suggest you make a quick call to BGE and ask them what silicone they use. All of us would like to hear their response.

I was just looking at my medium. I just got a replacement base and one side wasn't fully sealed. I want to get more silicone under the plate. I was about to use regular clear silicone. The surface down there doesn't seem to get extremely hot.

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    I just used a tube of silicone at a big box store. By it's very nature silicone is going to be high temp. That was maybe 5 years ago and no issues.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Ron, I appreciate the information.

Kent
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Excellent...thanks gents. I went to my hardware store. I did not see anything that resembled a "high temp" silicone. The caulk silicone was rated at 400 degrees (comes in a big caulk tube for a caulking gun). The smaller tubes of "100% silicone" said nothing of temperature ratings. The old timers who are very knowledgeable at the store (typically) had never heard of "high temp" silicone.

Is there a trick or special method to clean off this area prior to putting the new damper on? Rubbing alcohol? Oven cleaner? I've never seen any information on what can/cannot be used to clean the exterior of the egg.

Thanks again gents. You are appreciated.

Jason
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    High temp silicone is available from auto stores. Checker or AutoZone. I don't think that is necessary but I have no idea for certain.

I just used regular silicone on mine.

Get the old stuff off then it wouldn't hurt to clean the surface with acetone or rubbing alcohol on both surfaces.

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    a simple sharp utility knife blade will shear it off in a breeze down to the ridges and that adhesive still in the dimples will be just fine.
  • Hot Stuff
    Options
    a word of caution....put the door on first and bolt in down tight to make sure it's going to work right....i put one on a couple of weeks ago and had to put it on and take it off a couple times....you could use a whole tube