Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper burn removal?

Options
BamaBackdraft
BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Daughter called and made some ABT's and did not use gloves :( Asked me how to get her hands from burning. I told her to use rubber gloves. She was not amused.I told her when I learned this life lesson, I slept with my hands in a bowl of water. Anybody know how to solve this problem? Thanks

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Get some avocado and have her rub her hands with it. It is well worth a trip to the store.

Others will jump in with ways to clean that heat out of the hands and other parts of the body. Hopefully, she didn't rub her eyes. Obviously no avocado there.

Avocado will cut the heat quick.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bama,

She can use white bread soaked in milk too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mmm...meat
    Options
    I too learned this lesson a few weeks ago. Scoured the internet for an hour looking for ways to fix it. The only thing that helped... Benedryl. Worked wonders.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Milk/dairy products loosen the capsacium.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Growing up in Mexico in the '50's, human urine was a solution recommended by the natives.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    capsaicin is hydrophibic, and therefore will is not soluble [will not be removed by] water and is soluble organic compounds [like fat and oils] which is why avacado and sour cream are served with hot pepper dishes .. she should use heavy cream , butter , cooking oil , bacon grease to soak her hands followed by soap and water wash ,, rinse,,, wipe hands on pants and repeat as needed,
    my neighbor jack [god rest his soul] got likkered up and was cutting hot peppers, had to get rid of the excess beer and got the hot pepper oil on his biofluid release lever [hope leroy is well, we need an update] jack decided he should soak 'it' in a glass of milk about the same time his humorless wife walked into the kitchen. B)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oh, bill.

That is a horrible mental picture.

Never thought about sour cream.

GG
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Vinegar works well for me.
    not sure why but i lived in NM for years and that is what the native americans tell you to use.
    good luck
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    aaaaah!, OK. Whole meaning to getting pissed on. Sorry couldn't resist.

Kent
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    true story though ,, this is the same guy that brought the chain saw in the house to cut the bottom off his christmas tree ,,, filled the family room with 2 cycle smoke and sprayed chain saw oil and saw dust on the new carpet.
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Gave her all the recomendations, including the human urine :woohoo: and she said to tell all yall Thanks!!!!
  • Metalhead
    Options
    this in no way is meant to be a smarty pants answer....
    ..........I can guarantee once will be enough for this
    latest jalepeno victim.

I made the unfortunate decision to pickle some jalepeno
    rings years ago and my hands were uncovered the whole time. I took a shower changed into my pajamas and began
    sitting on the couch watching TV......'bout that time
    approx. 3-4 hours later the burn began to show up...
    unfortunately for me I like to sit and watch Tv like
    "Al Bundy".....well 'nuff said...I will never ever
    never ever touch jalepenos without gloves again
    I haven't cried like that in years
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That's the best kind of neighbor. Nothing better than sitting on the porch with a cool one and hearing those sort of stories.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Dang......I wish I coulda' seen that!!! :laugh: :P :woohoo: :woohoo: Just kiddin'. gal.....see you next month!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    prevention in the future is only $5 for 500 of these.
    IMG_0861.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    Are those latex free? I see they are polyethylene, but wondered if it said anywhere on there or not.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    I grated up some "Death peppers" a few days ago to go with my horseredish. They are starting to get mushie and came apart in my hand. Now as some on the forum will tell you I am a true pepperhead but for the last two days I can't touch any tinder body part with out adverse effects. :blush: This after 3 showers and untold hand washings. Milk helps more than anything but time is the cure! ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    sorry...I majored in business so I don't know the difference, but in my feeble mind these approved food safe polyethylene, non-stretching, clear gloves are nothing like the powder-free textured latex exam gloves which I also like to use in spite of them being non sterile. I just figure I'll run the risk using them for certain food handling purposes rather than my washed bare hands. I'm not a sanitary nut, but kinda close to it when raw meat is involved.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    Did she ask if he was reloading it? :laugh:
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    I majored in business also.

My daughter is allergic to latex and my wife is pregnant. My daughter gets hydracortisone put on her daily and the obgyn told my wife she should avoid contact. We have been buying those purple latex free gloves for a while now and they are kind of expensive so I wondered if the ones you showed would potentially be a good alternative.
  • the gloves in the picture are latex free. poly is a synthetic product as are the 'purple' gloves... latex is a natural product derived from tree sap like the chicle used to make chewing gum and there is a natural protein in the latex gloves that is the allergen ... synthetic gloves will not contain this,
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    my wife eats jalapenos and habs fairly easily... i sweat out the first few when eating them. i feel the heat a little too much but suffer through it just to keep up with her.

but for some reason feel absolutely nothing when handling them. are some people more susceptible than others, or are you guys getting bionic jalapenos somewhere?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    LEMMON....CUT IT IN HALF AND RUB IN BURN.