Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First meal from my egg.

Options
MrCoffee
MrCoffee Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am an outcast from a home coffee roasting forum, but in my opinion good food and drink always compliment each other. My wife & I moved to Clearwater Florida about three years ago after spending half a century in Indiana. I have grilled several times a week year around for many years but finally invested in a large BEG after a lot of reading *and* following the advice of the fun loving cooks on this forum.
I just finished a couple of pork tenderloins cooked at 300° for about two hours. Oh wow, tender, juicy and just perfect. Off to a great beginning thanks in no small part to the inputs from this group. Wife thought they were great and I have a place inside the house for the night. No sleeping on the porch in the rain this evening.
I have ribs rubbed down in the fridge for tomorrow. Expecting to egg them for about 5 hours tomorrow at 225° and can hardly wait.
Just wanted to say hello and report a successful first try on the BGE.

Comments

• Mort
    Mort Posts: 10
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Congratulations!! Bet you won't EVER go back to a "regular" grill... I know I won't!![p]Small world...I live in Clearwater too, but we're moving to Grand Junction Colorado the end of January....got to get close to the Grandson!![p]Happy grilling to you,
    Mort

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    MrCoffee,[p]Welcome and congrats! You'll find your own wealth of food and drink experience will be invaluable as you adapt your cooking capabilities to the Egg.[p]... and yes, you can roast coffee beans in the Egg. :)[p]Puj
  • Joel Ferman
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Welcome to the club. Your going to notice a line of "friends" and "neighbors" patiently waiting at your door step everytime you fire that bad boy up...... you've been warned.
    -Joel

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Congratulations and welcome. Be sure and check the recipes listed above. Lots of great recipes for all kinds of cookery.[p]Ken

• MrCoffee
    Options
    Thanks to all for the welcome. I do plan to try roasting coffee on the egg, probably in a wok (when I get a wok that is). Until then, I will have to just keep trying different goodies until I find something I don't like. Saw a Boston butt at Sam's this morning for $.68 a pound and they were all about 14# packages. So maybe next weekend I will get really daring. Does this mean I start the evening before I would guess?
    MrCoffee

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    MrCoffee,[p]Welcome to the fold, Coffee man![p]Keep the smoke risin'![p]Jim
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    MrCoffee, welcome to the forum. Plenty of great folks here that love the finer things in life, such as Q. I'm a coffee lover too and I love to use finely ground (french roast)coffee and spices as a rub on good steaks. When time permits, order yourself some Dizzy Pig rubs, too. None better I.M.H.O.[p]
  • Big John
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Welcome aboard friend. You will enjoy the Boston Butts. They are easy to cook and taste great. I have two 8 pounders on the egg now for a church carry in lunch tomorrow. Have fun with the new egg.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    I'd also like to be among those wishing you a warm welcome. There is much to be learned here. It can take a great deal of time to follow everything that is discussed, but the wealth of knowledge is phenominal. Not just on BBQing, but cooking in general. Food science. Food safety. Tool selection. Beer and wine. Even digital cameras. And true friends to be made.[p]On the butts you are looking at 15 hours or so for a 7-9 pounder. I usually start them around midnight for a late afternon meal the following day.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Welcome to the Green Room. There are a lot of nice folks her and are alway's helpful. The eggsperts are always lurking and will help you, because all you have to do is ask. I know, I asked today, and Tim M. came to my rescue.
    Hammer

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Welcome, you find many usefull tips, advice, new recipes, and cooking ideas. I found this out first hand about 3 years ago. These people are great.[p]CWM

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Congratulations and welcome. The folks here are a huge help in learning the fine art of Egging. You're gonna love it!

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    MrCoffee,[p]Start off smart and throw the cookbook (I use the label loosely) that came with the 'Egg" away....nde

• MrCoffee,
    Congratulations! You made the right decision on the BGE but by now you already know that.[p]It all gets better from here my man!

• Big John,[p]Ya know, for the life of me I can't figure out why they call the upper part of the shoulder a Boston Butt.[p]I reckon those Bostonians don't know their asses from their elbows, so to speak.[p]Cheers!

• Big John
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    I share your confusion on the Boston Butt issue. It's as bad as calling ground beef "Hamburger". Where's the ham?[p]Speaking of ham, when I asked my local butcher for a Boston Butt he told me a fresh ham was a better cut. He deboned one for me and put it in a net and said to try smoking it. It turned out great. It has a slightly different taste and has less fat. Both are good and take the same amount of time to cook.[p]Happy Egging,
    Big John

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    And why are country ribs, usually from the boston butt, called ribs?[p]keeps everyone on their tos I spose.
    Go terps!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    Welcome and congrats on the first of many successful meals. In my opinion, you picked one of the best and easiest things to cook.
    Just curious, how well done were those tenderloins? I usually do mine at 350 for 45 mins.

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    The one name that DOES make sense is "offal" (kidneys, sweetbreads, etc.) 'cause that stuff IS awful.

• MrCoffee
    Options
    Shelby,
    The tenderloins were 170° when I removed them form the Egg. They were well done, no pink at all but the plate I sliced the meat on had a layer of juice on the bottom. Very tender and only the very ends and a thin layer on the outside were somewhat dry.
    I have a Pyerx digital thermometer that only 207° in boiling water, so I think I overcooked by about 5 degrees. I live at about 40 feet above sea level, so that does not equate to a 5 degree difference in boiling water. I will try another scale if Bed Bath and Beyond will replace these.

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    MrCoffee,
    5 degrees isn't all that unusual among the less-expensive digitals. If you're into accuracy and reliability, several folks here use Thermapens - better meter, but significantly bigger price. On the bright side, Pyrex/Polder/Radio Shack/etc. are usually consistent through their range - if they're 5 low at 212º, they're 5 low at 160º.
    The wonders of consumer electronics! :-)))