Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Dogs

Options
JimW
JimW Posts: 450
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a good recipe for chili that I can use to make chili dogs (dogs cooked on the egg of course). Anyone out there have any suggestions?[p]JimW

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    02_18_0013_54_04.jpg
    <p />JimW, check out the link - if you choose, you can also make the chili on the egg![p]I just cut up 4lbs of sirloin - working at home tomorrow and making a little chili during the breaks.[p]Life is GOOD :~}

[ul][li]Black Bean Chili[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    JimW, I see where the long lost, but not forgotten Gfw has posted his terrific chili recipe. As for a recipe for just the meat sauce alone to make chili dogs here's a simple recipe that I grew up with. It takes a little while to cook, but makes an ample amount which can be frozen in batches for the number of dogs you normally eat.[p]1.5 pound ground round
    1/8 tsp powdered garlic
    1 bottle (2 oz) Mexene chili powder
    salt to taste
    place raw meat in pan and cover with water and add the forementioned ingredients. Break up meat initially, though it will fall apart during the cook.
    Let simmer until meat is cooked and water is gone stirring from time to time. Takes about 3 hours.
    This is rich and makes a great chili dog in my book.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    JimW,[p]I have several CONEY dog recipes, but no chili dog recipes.[p]Let me know if these will do. I can post or e-mail to you.[p]My collection includes an original Greek coney sauce, Tony Packo's, Aiken Pool Hall, A&W, the original National Coney Island recipe and several others.
  • Gfw
    Options
    RRP, I'm really just around the corner. 2002 has been a busy year, but it's almost December - my vacation/work at home month. :~}

• JimW,
    Here's the best I've found so far:[p]1 pound ground chuck
    1 3/4 cups water
    2 tablespoons chile powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon granulated onion
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 dash tobasco sauce[p]Put water and all ingredients except meat into saucepan and stir well. Add meat, breaking it up with your fingers as you go. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and leave uncovered until nearly all water is gone and the consistency is the way you like it. This is just about as good as the chili at the Varsity here in Atlanta. They make great chili dogs![p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• Gfw,
    There are no beans in Chili. Not real chili, anyway.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Chuck:[p]Remember to make some cyanne pepper available like they do at The Varsity . . . Plus plenty of fresh onions . . .
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    SmokeStack:[p]The book says it is a regional thing . . .
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,
    Actually, that isn't cayenne pepper in the shakers, it's hot Hungarian paprika. My wife and I both love it on the chili dogs.[p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• Gfw
    Options
    SmokeStack, best chili is chili the way you like it, not how someone else likes it. :~{

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Chuck Lane,
    Would browning the meat first and draining it change the final result?
    JimW

• JimW,
    Yes it would, it's best to start the meat out cold in cold water. Also, you don't want to drain the grease from the meat. I tried that and the chili is too dry and loses a lot of flavor. Don't substitute a leaner meat either, you need the ground chuck. I think a little grease is an important component of good chili. God knows the chili at the Varsity Drive-In in Atlanta is loaded with it![p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Chuck Lane,
    I'm going to do a batch of your chili dog sauce tomorrow afternoon - even though I grew up on the recipe that I posted the other night, as yours wet my mental taste buds. One question though...have you ever tried that recipe as a rub? It sure has what they call some "commonalility"...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    Unfortunately I'm so dumb that I never thought to use it as a rub! I have no doubt that it would be very good though. I think there's a lot of 'commonality' in the spices that are used for most rubs, it's all in the tweaking I guess.[p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Mr. Chuck,[p]When I first read this post my mouth started to water and my brain kicked in and lobbied to get to the 'V' for a chili dog. Well last night the pilgrimage occured on the way to the Thrashers - Coyotes game; one chili cheese dog, one naked dog, 1 fry and a Coke.[p]At least the beginning of the evening was good. :)[p]Puj
  • Puj,
    Love those Varsity chili dogs!! I make a trip to the V every now and then whenever I feel my grease to blood ratio is getting a little low![p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    Stogie,[p]I would love a real Coney recipe. I'm originally from the Detroit area and the chili dogs I find in Texas just don't cut it! An online or mail order source for authentic skin-on weiners would be nice too if you have one.[p]Thanks,[p]Stuart