Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping BENTE-Royal Oak Junk Lump

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Terry, What did you decide to do with all those bags are Argentine Royal Oak Lump? I bought 10 bags at Resturant Depot the same weekend that you did and didnt even think to look at the bag as every other bag i ever bought there was the good stuff. I have used a half a bag so far and i have done some kind of chicken dance across my basement concrete pad from coals popping out of the egg and down my shirt when lighting it with my propane torch. It also seems to smoke alot longer and flames up much worse that the regular Royal Oak. I thought i was set for the winter on lump but i guess i should call them back and ask if they are going to get any real Royal Oak back in.

Comments

• Absolutely
    Options
    You need to be careful out there. :ohmy:
  • UGAVET
    Options
    What would i need to be careful of? Getting set on fire is the most likely. Thank goodness it is at my new house where all my eggs are on concrete pad with a poured concrete wall behind them. If it were my old house, god forbid, i would be going thru what Nature Boy and Little Steven have gone thru.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    what i have done is light my egg and just keep adding the junk lump and burning it.. so far my record is 8 days with out a relight :blush:

but so far i have gone to wal-mart and bought a couyple bags of their american made stuff.. i am also waiting on the new store to open in charlotte (it is 2 miles from one of my auctions). then i will walk in and read each and every bag i put on my cart..

if you can find some use for this s*!T let me know i still have 8 bags left :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    other than the sparking & popping which only lasts for about 10 minutes I think it is good lump to use...I have done two lo & slo's and everything is been fine...now I would rather have the american lump but the other is ok in my book...just my 2 cents.... B)
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I agree, the lump works fine for low and slow without much sparking, etc.
  • UGAVET
    Options
    I will try it with a long cook and see. I think the smoke i had on my pizza cook was some left over lump from my last boston butt cook that had some fat drippings hanging around. It does seem to quieten down after the initial sparking and i have had better luck using the BGE charcoal lighter cubes than with my propane torch with sparking.
  • UGAVET
    Options
    so they're opening a resturant depot in charlotte?
  • BENTE
    Options
    yes supposed to be the third quarter sometime but i still have not seen a date :(

ooops looks like they moved it to fourth quarter :angry::angry: here is the link

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/misc/storedtl.asp?KEY=412&OFFSET=7

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i have tried it that way and it seems to me the smoke it puts off is discusting smelling.. and i have not been able to bring myself to oput anymore food on there than my first time.. so i will continue to try to get rid of it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb