Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinade off or Marinade on?

Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm ready to take these ribs out of the bag and put on the grill. Question is, do I wash off the marinade before they go on the egg? I am doing Nature Boys Mahongany Rib recipe. I'm ready to go, but need some help.
Thanks much!

Comments

• Nu-Guy,[p] Don't rinse. If it were a brine, the answer would be different.[p]MikeO[p]PS Be sure to let us know how you like 'em!
  • Nu-Guy
    MikeO,
    Ok, don't rinse but should I wipe off or just throw 'em on? Thanks.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Nu-Guy,
    I agree with MikeO, and I would just lay em on the grill and flip em every half hour or so. Discard any left over marinate from the meat and use fresh sauce several times the last hour of the cook. If your doing em indirect you may not even have to flip em. I use a second grill suspended about 4 inches over my drip pans and do em bone side down the entire cook. You will soon find your best routines.
    Good luck..C~W[p]

• Nu-Guy,[p] Just throw them on. If you think there's too much stuff sticking to them (can't tell by reading exactly how much "stuff" is on these things), you could always wipe a little off, but I think you'd lose a lot of the flavor if you wiped the paste off of them. Keep in mind, I'm guessing a bit here, but I think if NB had wanted the paste wiped off, he would have mentioned it in the recipe. Unfortunately for us, he's camping this weekend . . .[p]MikeO
  • Nu-Guy
    Char-Woody,
    10-4... They are on right now. Indirect, with a pan of water underneath and some sugar maple chips. Thanks for the help!

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nu-Guy,
    Man you didn't waste any time or effort if you jumped into the middle of NB's Mahogany Ribs right off the bat! Let them drip/drain on a rack for an hour or so, either in the fridge or outside the fridge.(Inside the fridge keeps the ribs cold, and allows them to absorb more smoke flavor while they cook) The only time I rinse something off, is when I brine it. Then, I'll rinse it two, three or four times! Making sure I get all the brine off!
    That recipe is on my short list "to try"! I just haven't got around to it!
    You've really "taken the bull by the horns" trying a recipe like that right off the start. Be sure to let us know how they turn out. A "nu-be" trying a new recipe will tell us all a lot about the recipe and the ease in using it! I can see, you'll fit in great! You'll be an active, contributing part of the forum from the start! Way to go!!![p]Dr. Chicken

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nu-Guy, glad to see that you didn't wash off the marinate. For the 1st 2 hours on the grill, I didn't do any turning - in fact it is one of the few times that I didn't even peek.[p]I flipped one at 2 hours and the next time at 3 hours. On the grill at 2pm and off at 5:45pm - pictures and times can be found on the link.

[ul][li]Nature Boy's Ginger Mahogany Ribs [/ul]
  • Nu-Guy

Dr. Chicken,
    Wellll, we will see...if I bit off more than I can chew. I am trying this with just one rack cut in half. I thought I'd save the other rack, just in case I mess these up. I am watching the Grand Kids while I'm doing these. Golly, I am not used to all that noise while I'm trying to concentrate on something new. Plus, I'm trying to catch Rush's program on the radio. Let you know how they turn out later this evening.

• Nu-Guy

Gfw,
    Thanks for the pointers. What a great web site you have. Since I have bought my egg, your site and a couple of the others have been a great source of information. Thanks.[p]

• Nu-Guy
    The deed is done! I would like to thank you all for the help today. The ribs were on for 4 hours and ready when the Mrs. walked in the door. Hats off to Nature Boy! This was only my second try at ribs and I am here to tell ya, these were great! It was a great confidence builder. I need a little practice in the kitchen while doing the preparation. I am such a klutz trying to put things together. It's a relief to get things to the "egg stage" out on the deck. [p]Thanks again for Egging me on!

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nu-Guy,
    Way to go!!!! I'll bet you gained some points with the wife too! If your wife is like mine, she about croaked when I bought the Lg BGE! But she calmed down and really got to liking the results from the Egg, so when I mentioned I was gona buy a small to go with the Lg., her only remark was "are you sure you don't want a medium?" What can I say??? I mean, What can I say!!!
    Wait till you cook for the in-laws and it comes out perfecto and you gain points with the wife and her Mom & Dad! You'll be a winner all the way around!
    Stick close to the group here on the forum, and they'll keep you straight! Not to mention some awsome recipes![p]Dr. Chicken

• Gfw
    Nu-Guy, congratulations! [p]NB's recipe isn't exactly a simple rib recipe and takes a little time to prepare - but the results are worth the time - now that you've done the hard one, what are you going to do next?

• Nu-Guy
    Gfw,
    Not sure what's next. Got any ideas? Maybe simple rib recipe that wouldn't take so much time in preparation. Maybe a dry rub and then brush on so store bought sause?

• Gfw
    MxMeatloaf2.jpg
    <p />Nu-Guy, quick ribs aren't my style - as for the sauce, check out Gfw's BBQ Sauce - the recipe is posted at my site and in the recipe section here - no complaints from any users to date. [p]As for something quick and really good - why not try a little Mexican Meatloaf - again the recipe is posted at my site and in the recipe section here - and again, no complaints from any users to date. [p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Nu-Guy
    Gfw,
    Thanks for the idea. I like the slow too. My problem is that I need to think ahead. I am not used to preparing for the cook the following day. 'Member, I came from the dark side (gas grill) just throw stuff on. Compared to my egg, that is what I usually wound up with...just stuff!

• Gfw
    Nu-Guy, I know what you mean - I used a gas grill for the last 25 years. In September '99 I bought my wife the BGE as a birthday present (she only has too cook about 2 days a week now) and a new hobby started - it cooks great, I have never had anyone complain about the results and I have my online cookbook![p]