Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jimbotron: Regarding the chicken

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is the stand, I am sure you've seen these on the forum. Our conversation inspired me to pop one'm on the egg tonight with that sample of Dizzy Pig spices those kind people gave me at the eggfest yesterday, also tossed a little black cherry wood on the lump for the bleep of it:

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Nice crispy skin, looks great! I grilled some legs and thighs for my parents today. Some with DP Jamaican Firewalk and some with John Henry pecan. It's all good.
  • Looks great. I have probably made the chickens like this 10 times now. Big hit at home. Curious though I have yet to get the skin to be that crunchy any tips?
  • Thanks, Zippylip. The "after" shot is certainly a remarkable transformation! :)
  • Zippylip
    high heat brother, I did that one (we were in a bit of a hurry) at 500 for an hour :evil:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Jimbo, did you make it home w/everything intact, & have you fire'r up yet?
    happy in the hut
  • Got home today. I also took home the BGE won in the raffle by that Santa Clause dude...he rode in via motorcycle, so he couldn't transport it, and I live halfway to his home in Boston. He hasn't been in touch with me, though. I'll wait a couple weeks before listing it on ebay! ;)

I went into a panic when I discovered my local supermarket was out of Royal Oak for the season, so I spent the day rounding up tons of it elsewhere. I think I overbought...125 lbs (pretty good price, though: $78). Still need wood chips and starter cube things.

Bought some buffalo burgers, figured that would be an easy first attempt. Will watch DVD tonight and fire up tomorrow. Oh, and I found that a pizzeria that does really good whole wheat crust will sell me dough for $4.50 a pop.

I usually come up with creative (i.e. whacko) ways of using cooking equipment, so hopefully I'll be keeping you all entertained. I think my first mission is to compile a list of all the many things cooks complain they can't make right in an oven 'cuz they can't get it hot enough. Pizza's the only thing that springs to mind, but there are a bunch more. I've posted a query to Chowhound about it: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/557726

Oh, one question: in another thread, I quoted you as saying:
    any time you do direct cooking, you're getting grease and stuff in the lump. So once your food is done, open the egg all up and let the remaining lump burn up, self-cleaning the egg.

I'm wondering if I should also leave the grill in there to burn clean, or if that just hardens the grease onto the grill?