Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Verse - better than the first

Options
HoldOn2UrButts
HoldOn2UrButts Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my second cook on my new LBGE and had better results with respect to not making too many rookie mistakes. I still have a lot to learn, though.

This time the wifey says she still detected more charcoal smoke flavor than she likes in the grilled asparagus (to go along with the grilled burgers). I think I know what I did wrong to get that flavor, but wanted to check in with the experts.

I let me fire come up and stabilize at around 450 before putting the asparagus on the grill first. When I put the burgers on, however, my brain kicked in and said 'hey, I didn't hear a good sizzle - that fire must not be hot enough (gotta stop my brain sometimes). So, I opened the slider top to get more air flow to get the fire hotter and it's at this point that more smoke started to come out the top.

I'm thinking that what I should have done was to have some more red wine and just let things be. In other words, once I put food on the grill and start cooking then it's best to not make any major adjustments (unless I take everything off?).

Is that the right lesson to learn here?

Thanks again for your help.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Yup, more wine is always a safe bet ;) the grease from the burgers will flair up and make smoke to on the vegis. you could have foiled them when you put the burgers on and they would have stayed hot and finished cooking I bet? and not smoke. another thing too you start to kind of get used to it and not smell it or taste it after awhile.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    My wife loves asparagus cooked on the BGE but she does not like the smoke flavor....sooooo...i put the asparagus in aluminum foil with some butter...I cook it indirect at 350 for about 30-40 minutes...it is sooo good...also cook the burgers raised direct at 400-425 degrees for about 5 minutes per side...add cheese & there you have it...DO NOT mash the burgers down once they are on the grill...
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    I've found that once the fire has stabilized at the desired temperature, let the egg sit for 15 - 20 minutes before putting anything on to make sure all the lump is settled and not giving off any 'start up' smoke.

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Burgers smoke as the fat renders and hits the coals. That was the cause of your smoke - not the higher temps.

The asparagus picked up that smoke (which isn't real good eats by the way) and not flavor from woods of lump (which I find enhances the asparagus).
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I agree with Fidel and wannabe. My 2 cents would be to add foil and garlic/butter. You never want to cook over "green" lump.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Make sure all of the white smoke has gone away before you put your food on. That might be your problem.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    You can also blanch them first for about a minute and then put them on the grill that way they don't take as long to cook. I will also wrap them in prosciutto, grill and serve with parmeasan cheese
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    A simple method is to smell the smoke coming out of the egg before you put your food on. If it smells bad let it burn awhile. :S Eventually the exhaust will smell good and your food will also. ;)