Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love all these Gadgets

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've heard any job is easier when you have the right tools (I believe Sundown told me that...ahem). This has been the year for gadget accumulation. Have my pigtail flippers, new polders, just ordered a thermapen. Have v-racks, trivets, and gloves that cover 97% of my body. Large pizza stone, small pizza stones, and wood chunks from 6 kinds of trees. Drip pans, cookie sheets, and aluminum pans. Starter logs, firelighters, and a new egg table for 2. Daisy wheels, stainless vent covers, and ash tools. And my favorite...the upright chicken/turkey stand on which I sit a chicken and terrorize dogs and kids alike by putting a puppet head on the chicken and chasing them through the house.[p]Surely there is something else I desperately need. Did I miss anyone's favorite gadget?

Comments

• mollyshark,
    You forgot one of them thar weed burners for light the thing up quick like. I have to admit that since I got it, I cook more on the egg just so that I can play with that darn thing.[p]Matt.

• Slo-N-EZ
    Options
    mollyshark,
    MickeyT's temperature rings!
    Replace that Daisey Wheel.[p]Slo-N-EZ

• Foxey
    Foxey Posts: 6
    Options
    Slo-N-EZ,[p]Amen to that. BGE should make a deal with Micky & include them with each egg.
  • mollyshark, when you mention the chicken & turkey sitters are you referring the Willie's? They also make a small one for Cornish game hens that are a real treat too on Mr Egg. An "aftermarket" eggcessory which I'm sold on are MIckey T's rings. I happen to love 'em and also happen to know that rascal is working on some more rings for even yet lower temps. ^oo^~

• mollyshark
    Options
    kat,[p]You know, I wish someone had brought a set to EggFest. Would have loved to see how they work IRL. So far it is just a theory to me and actually I don't recall the theory. Do you have the link to the info on these somewhere? Or a picture?[p]Oh yes, I have the baked potato stands also. LOL.
  • Slo-N-EZ
    Options
    mollyshark,
    See MickyT in "Visitor Profiles" for his email address.
    Slo-N-EZ

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Let's see. By "trivets" you surely mean cast iron grates. All that leaves is a MAPP torch to start the fire, a digital camera to take pictures of you chasing kids & dogs (loved that line), and an industrial-size sprayer for the patchouli oil. LOL[p]Ken

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    cart94.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,
    How many beer bottle openers ya got on your rig?
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mollyshark
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Got the digital. Got the sprayer. Out of patchouli. Haven't a prayer.[p]
    To save this woman, please send patchouli to:.......

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    toolshack.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,
    I have two buildings just for egg toys and I keep some in the house,I can't let KennyG get ahead of me.
    Larry

[ul][li]Cooking toys[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mollyshark,
    My favorite, and unmentioned, gadget is those litte foam beer "koozies" that keep your beverage chilly (or in the winter keep your hand warm, and keep your beer from freezing).[p]Velly, velly imporantay!
    Beers (in a koozie) to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mollyshark,
    I plum forgot to mention one of my most favorite toys that is a necessity to me. That's a hard hat on which I have mounted a miner-type head lamp called a Night Blaster. It only uses 4 AA batteries, but really puts out the light exactly where I'm looking. With this time of year I'm always cooking in the dark since my deck has no direct light.
    And for really low tech accessories I use those aluminum 3.5" nails for my bake potatoes that assure a thorough cooked potato every time.

• The Naked Whiz,
    Well, now I need to start adding bottle openers... But do you have this one?[p](in case the link doesn't work = http://www.perfectcollectibles.com/simpsonsbeer/index.cfm?action=promo&pc=P2PSBO&acode=13C59BA2&amp; )

[ul][li]Opener[/ul]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Would the Dizzy Pig rubs be construed as 'accessories' or just 'necessities'? LOL
    One thing I'd like to spring for is that remote Polder. Says it's good for 150 feet or something like that; that's just about the exact distance from the Egg to the bedroom! Think the shift-worker neighbours and raccoons are getting sick (and sickened) of seing me out on the deck at 3 am in my underwear checking temps! Our local housewares store just started stocking this item and I'm beginning to think it should go to the top of the Qfan wish list to Santa.
    Qfan

• mollyshark
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Let's try that again! LOL[p]A miner's hat with a LIGHT. The perfect Hanukkah gift! I'll take it!
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    cooktoys.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,[p]Ya gotta have a pair of good old 16" SS tongs. Handiest piece I have and used on almost every cook.[p]Also in the pic is my elastic headband with forehead mounted snap open flashlight for night cooks. No hard hat needed, just requires 2 AA batteries not included hehehe[p]Even YB doesn't have one of these.[p]K~G

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    South O, they also have a 3 Stoogies opener in the same genre.

• KennyG, actually I have one of those 2 battery lights too and use that for lightweight summer time use, but for really wanting to see in the dark that Night Blaster has some special bulb that throws out a light which makes the two battery light a real wimp! - yet OTOH it is too heavy to just use with the head strap alone, hence the hard hat came into play! Besides when people see me with my hard hat on they say "Now that dude must be into heavy duty Q'uing"!!!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    KennyG,
    Hey old buddy...If you look under the umbrella you will see a halogen light that lights the eggs up like a Christmas tree at night,$10.00 at Lowes...what a deal.
    Larry

[ul][li]Halgen light[/ul]
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    mollyshark,
    One of my favorite gadgets is a wine opener! I love to taste the grapes while I am cooking. However sometimes, if it is a screwcap wine, getting the top off can be difficult!
    Hammer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    mollyshark, unless I missed someone else's post about this I can't live now without two Mr Misto's I keep virgin olive oil in and extra virgin in the other. Then in the refrig I keep a cheapie plastic pump spayer made on the same principle in which I keep apple juice which is great sprayed on ribs, and on bacon which I smoke for pizza toppings.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Oooh, we agree on this one. But I've learned to be VERY careful tasting those grapes. A little too cozy with them and your 2 minutes-per-side steak turns into 15-minute shoe leather!
  • site1018.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,[p]It's been mentioned already, but MAPP gas is a good addition. I've been using it to start the egg at least twice a week for over a year now. The first bottle of MAPP is still going strong.[p]Pout
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p] Or, for those of us that drink out of bottles, the neoprene beer "condoms" with the zippers in them (though now that I've said it, I must admit that using the words "condom" and "zipper" in the same sentence made me cringe a little . . .).[p]Mike
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    mollyshark,[p] NEOX HI-LO gloves. Great for wrestling slabs of meat off the grid or for pulling pork. No flippers, tongs, spatulae required. Just grab and go! They do get a bit slippery, however. I've also seen some longer (elbow-length) ones called Rotissi-Gloves that look pretty cool.[p]MikeO
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Pout,[p]Dork question, but I've never paid attention to the MAPP stuff. Do you just point it at the charcoals and they explode in fear?
  • mollyshark,[p]Pull the trigger and hold about an inch from the charcoal. Keep it there for 20 - 30 seconds and you are done. I like to start the charcoal in two spots, alternating the flame between them until both are glowing red.[p]Pout
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    MikeO,
    Can't believe I forgot gloves! I got my elbow length neoprenes from a restaurant supply, since then I've also seen textured wrist length neoprene in hardware stores. Also a good pair of welder's gloves, and a supply of single-use latex or plastics. (I buy my latexs from a beauty supply house, stock up when I can get them at 50% off.)
    Mollyshark, between the elbow-length neoprenes and the miner's hat with light (and a tasteful apron) you're sure to be the hit of any Channukah party!

• Pout,[p]I saw Mapp Gas used right before my eyes
    at Eggtoberfest and based on what I saw this
    should be a high priority purchase item for the egg.

• mollyshark,
    This isn't neccessarily an eggcessory, but we did buy it because of the BGE. And it is a handy use for that leftover propane from the gas grill. It is a Gas Lamp, tabletop model. Lights easily and keeps you a little warmer on those cool nights. We also have a chimanea (not from BGE) that we use while cooking on those cooler nights.