Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

legs up vs. legs down

Options
doublesuited
doublesuited Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
still a relative newbie here and just got my plate setter a few weeks ago. Am still trying to figure out when to use it legs up vs. legs down. I've searched a bunch of other threads and it seems like there is no consensus views.

I'm looking to cook three things indirectly over the next few weeks and would want input on whether to cook legs up or down (or even directly).

1. Turkey breast (not whole bird)
2. Thin crust pizza
3. Mac and Cheese

Thanks for you help,

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Funny, I had that question concerning another issue... Oh well, I'll work it out... 8 - )
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    HI! I have found that legs down gives you more space between the fire and your pans or food. with your pizza stone on it legs down you really have some mass to heat up so give it a little extra time to do so. that is thick. yesterday I did legs up to give me more room to cook a turkey vertical. this dropped me down a few inches so I was not hitting the top. sometimes you just have to experiment and decide what works best for you. But think about what you are cooking and trying to archive. and post pictures, we all love pictures! Julie
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Iuse the legs up when you need to use a drip pan. I use the legs down to cook pizza or to cook with a pot. Good luck, Tom
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    He he, We must both live in the gutter.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i like a little airspace between the barrier and whatever i'm cooking. generally i go platesetter legs up, with the grid on top. allows me to put a drip pan on the PS under the grid, too

there's no consensus for good reason, though. there are just a number of various ways to set up each cook.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    :woohoo: :woohoo: Like you I had to read the post before it was removed :blush: Looks like the rest answered the question.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Didn't read the other responses but here's how I'd use it..
    1. Legs up
    2. Legs down, then 'egg feet' holding pizza stone
    3. Legs up

Here's the rule I use and it seems to have worked pretty well...if you want the egg to act more like an oven, then legs up. This creates a greater airspace between the hot platesetter and your dish creating a more even temp on top and bottom of your dish..if you want to brown the bottom of your dish, i.e. apply more heat to it, legs down. The platesetter is a heatsink and once heated to dome temperatures radiates heat to whatever is near it..make sense?
  • doublesuited
    Options
    Eggtucky wrote:
    Didn't read the other responses but here's how I'd use it..
    1. Legs up
    2. Legs down, then 'egg feet' holding pizza stone
    3. Legs up

Here's the rule I use and it seems to have worked pretty well...if you want the egg to act more like an oven, then legs up. This creates a greater airspace between the hot platesetter and your dish creating a more even temp on top and bottom of your dish..if you want to brown the bottom of your dish, i.e. apply more heat to it, legs down. The platesetter is a heatsink and once heated to dome temperatures radiates heat to whatever is near it..make sense?

thanks. great post, makes complete sense.