Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

broken platesetter

Options
Idahoegger
Idahoegger Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the legs on my large platesetter is broken. It is a clean break. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to repair. Also it is gasket replacment time should I stay with BGE gasket or go with something else?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    JB Weld like this

platesetter.jpg

100_1600.jpg
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    As far as the plate setter goes, JB Weld in tubes, 2-part) should do ya.
  • Tiburon
    Options
    In some cases, JB weld will work to hold it at least for a period of time. Mine is broken in half and a leg is broken. I still use it for low and slow. I place the two pieces on the grill and use a paving stone and the other two legs to hold a second grill that solds the meat. Not very pretty but it works.
  • Egglicious
    Options
    So what has caused the plate setters to break? I try to be carefull not to drop mine, so far so good.
  • Idahoegger
    Options
    I have no idea what caused mine to break. It was in the garage and was altogether I picked it up to take it to the back patio and noticed that part of the leg was missing went back to the garage and found the piece laying on the floor. So how it happened is a mystery. The only thing I can figure is it must of had a hairline crack and when it was moved it just came apart.I have 3 large eggs and a platesetter for each and have never had one to break until now. I have had them for over 2 years
  • Tiburon
    Options
    I stored it propped up against the wall of the house. We had high winds and it blew over.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I can personally vouch for JB Weld. Couldn't find it at Lowes or Home Depot but found it at Pep Boys. It says that it is only rated to 500f but I have had my repaired setter at much higher than that several times this summer and it is holding strong.

Just follow the directions (make sure you use clamps for best performance) and you'll be very happy.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This