Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

System for multi Racks needed

Options
alanjesq
alanjesq Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What suggestions do you all have for a method of "stacking" Pork Butts or Briskets on an XL? I had one heck of a time fitting Three large Pork Butts on my XL, that came out of the XL this morning.

I used a standard V Rack for two of the large butts, and improvised the third on a Jelly Roll Pan. All racks sitting on a XL plate setter, which was "setting" (sic) as a heat sink. The foregoing resting on the XL Grids.

I have seen pictures of some Eggers cooking 5 or more Butts, but don't know if I could find them in the Archives easily????

TIA
alanjesq

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Start with the 2" fire ring, spider with pizza stone for indirect, then adjustable rig with extended rig on top on that. How any people are you planning of feeding?
    You can do 8 or more butts on a XL.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm confused. I can fit 3 butts on a large grid without any alterations, and have done so many times.

Are you saying you had trouble fitting 3 butts on an XL grid? How large were the butts?
  • I've got the 2" fire ring for my large. Does BGE make one for the XL?

To answer the OP. On the XL use the place setter inverted (legs up). I use a disposable aluminum serving platter covered in foil as a drip tray. The just cook the butts directly on the grate. If you get bone in and stand them on edge 6 should not be a problem.
  • jamiemeyer
    Options
    I stopped in to my local (Austin, TX) dealer, and had the very discussion with him last weekend. I have a company picnic to do next weekend, and I will be cooking three packer cut briskets. Even with my XL, there is no way to fit them all on the grate.

BGE has just released a new device that sits on top of the main grid, and places a grate for the large egg on it. The height of the rig is 4", so I am not sure if the upper grate will sit on the rack correctly - until I get some shrinkage.

As to the 2" ring, this is only available for the LBGE, not the XL. To overcome that issue, I will be trying a couple of firebricks, replacing the 4" ring. With any luck, this will get the upper brisket down away for the top of the dome.

If the firebricks do not work, then I believe the other option is to eliminate the 4" ring entirely. If I have to go that far, I am concerned about the quantity of lump for a long cook. I have seen notes from AZRP and others to put the platesetter down below the fire ring, and that it is fine for long cooks. I have not been brave enough to try that yet.

Hope this helps.
  • alanjesq
    Options
    The Butts were 8 pounds +-, each. No way would they fit on the XL sitting upon racks. Did you not use racks? Did you use drip pans?

I would like to know.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Why are you using racks? I can get at least 4 or 5 on the standard grate of my XL and 6 in my large if I use tjv adjustable rig.

You have apparently see this but here it is again

IMG_8055-033.jpg

No racks and 40+ pounds of pork.