Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

3 Butts do not take longer

alanjesqalanjesq Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To all of those who helped this old man, an eight year Egger to cook three Butts on my XL, I say thanks. I did take the suggestion to cook the Butts at 225, which is up from my usual 210, and it shortened the time dramatically. I always place the Guru temp sensor on a bar of my V Rack, so that it measures the heat right next to the Butt. It was only a 12 hour cook. And, needless to say, the XL and the Guru worked their magic. Only popped the hood one time, just to flip. I did use the "cheap" characoal, as suggested by many of you, and no problems.

Again, Thanks. This is a great list, even for the "experienced".

PS: I can't charge my clients for the cook time. Wish I could.
·

Comments

• bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Alan, what no pictures? That's the price for all them help... :woohoo: :P
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • No Pics!!!! Hey, it Raining big time, in the Lou.
    ·
  • I don't remember you mentioning the guru in you 1dt post! CW gave great advice about dome temp and it would have been more accurate with all of this information. There is a difference between dome and grid temps.

I am glad the cook went well and the butts came out as expected.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,875
    rain? tell me about it! 6" in 30 hours up here in central IL. Flash flood warnings around, but still better than the TX situation. Egged a beautiful prime rib last night in a heavy downpour...
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Concrats on your successfull cook. I have two butts on from last night right now, need about 3 more deg. than off they come. I used a Guru also, held the temp at 225 all night long, and I got a good nights sleep.
    ·