Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

between the BGE and table?

Options
newegg
newegg Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My table is being assembled and there is no type of stone to put between the Egg and the wood of the table. I have some stone slabs for flooring and some porceling stone for flooring. Would either one be better or do I need something else. Help

Comments

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Whatever you use I would be sure to put the ceramic feet under the egg to create an air space between the egg and the stone.

Spacey
  • BBQ Lady
    Options
    There is a lot of info on this web page:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm

After I read it I decided that placing fire bricks under your egg's feet is the only way to go.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I thought I was good-to-go, with just egg-feet under my Medium -- and all of which were just plunked down on the temporary deck.

Fortunately, the deck was simply temporary. Well, it turned out to be temporary. Fortunately, I saw smoke in time to save my house.

~ B
    :blink: :ohmy: :blink:
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I just used a piece of galvanized metal as a heat shield for any dropped amber's to protect the wood base and a patio block and a piece of granite to give me the correct height for the spring hinge to open without hitting the top of the table.

PICT5064.jpg
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • safetyman
    Options
    On the BGE large cypress table I used 1 1/4" fire bricks, they are 4 1/2 x 9, it took 8 of them. I put the BGE feet under the 'Egg' and set the 'Egg' on the fire brick. It seems to work very good and they were only $10.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    the stone and porcelain you mention sounds like tile which I would advise against.

Your stone should be over an inch thick and you should use the BGE feet too.
    If your stone is over an inch thick and you use the feet you will have no problems!

18 x 18 paver will be fine.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    BBQ L - the way it was written, that's what you were supposed to think.

when it comes to the Egg, there is no one right way to do anything.

Did you ever figure out how you were going to set your bricks on your table below the egg?
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I had no idea there was so much risk. I just ran out and put the feet between my egg and the paving stone. I haven't used it enough yet for there to be any charring, but was really shocked when I read the whiz. And my I say wholly s#!+ are those eggs heavy.
  • Smokus Maximus
    Options
    I'm glad someone raised this topic because it's a concern I had.

All in all I was really happy with the dealer where I bought my egg, but on this subject I'm afraid they steered me wrong.

The night I got the egg I watched the video and read all the instructions and it brought up using the paver. When I had been in the store I asked them about the paver because in the brochure the egg was always sitting on one. The guys in store, who all own eggs, said they hadn't heard of that and they just use the ceramic feet.

I set it up that way and did one cook with it, I think after I closed the vents when I was done it got up to 450 degrees at the hottest point. I kept sticking my hand under the bge to feel how hot it was near that wood - I'm a worrier.

So now that I've seen this topic I believe at the minimum I need to add the 18x18x1+ paver with the ceramic feet as suggested, for peace of mind at least. The problem is, I have no idea how I can do this now that the whole thing is put together, short of taking it all back apart. It's just too darn heavy.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, and at this point I'm still elated that I didn't seem to destroy my egg putting it together the first time. The last thing I want to do is take it apart and put it back together again, the odds of me getting it right twice are slim.

Any engineers out there with a better idea? Could I somehow shim the egg up and slide a paver under, then tilt it enough the slide the feet in place without damaging the egg? I'm afraid that if at any point I have the egg resting on an uneven surface (like just one ceramic foot) I could crack it.