Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salty ribs anti-brine?

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local Q meat supplier had another sale on babybacks yesterday. They were brand X but very meaty and with more interspersed fat than you normally see. I could tell they would be tender by how "limp" the package was. I picked up 2 racks and made myself half of one for lunch.[p]They were in fact the most tender I have ever done but way overly salty. That "up to 10% liquid chemical enhancement" mentioned in the fine print on the package all but spoiled what could have been a good thing.[p]With a rack and a half still to go, I wonder if anyone has experimented with an "anti-brine" that might remove some of the saltiness before I cook the rest?[p]K~G

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    KennyG,[p]Seems like Jack Daniels always make the salt less noticeble. I recommend two or three before eating. LOL!! Sorry, KG, I couldn't resist![p]Jim
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    JSlot,[p]LOL! That's a damn fine idea. I've been know to do a couple of fingers of Jack strictly for medicinal purposes and about once an hour hehehe[p]Great to see ya back on the forum big guy![p]K~G

• KennyG,[p]Soaking in plain water for a few hours and changing the water several times should help leech out the salt. Works with ham, and if it works with baccala (salt cod), it'll work with anything![p]:-)[p]Lee

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    KennyG, having been raised by someone (a father) who liked to cook salt mackeral for Sunday breakfast, I finally found the recommended method of removing the salt was to soak overnight in milk. (Unfortunately for those of us who had to sit through church with no water, my father thought that was a waste of good milk and would only soak in water!) Not sure what soaking in milk would be like but hey, some guys are soaking them in the buttermilk goop.

• KennyG, back in my youth on the farm , we used to keep our pork in a huge saltbox to preserve it, we did not have a freezer. Anyhoo, we would take the pork out of the salt and soak in milk for a few days, changing the milk a time or two. It would still be salty when cooked but not as bad. Maybe it will work on your ribs. It sure won't hurt them.

• QSis,[p]Hey Lee, what are you making with salt cod? My grandparents, who lived in Scotland, right on the ocean. Every summer when I went over, that's what we did with all of the fish that we caught... Salted and left them out to dry.. They are nasty looking, but actually turn out to be pretty tastey... ;-)