Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Impress In-laws

Options
Moose
Moose Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new bride informed me her parents and grandparents are coming over for dinner this weekend. I want to impress them with my BGE prowess. I'm a newbie to the BGE world and need an easy recipe to impress the in-laws. Any suggestions?[p]Moose

Comments

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    Moose,
    No questions about it. You need to do a pork tenderloin. It's hard to screw this up. I have used several of the recipes in the BGE book that came with your egg. Which ever one sounds best to you. You will have your outlaws turned into inlaws. If you have more questions just let me know.
    BobbyG

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Moose,[p]Do steaks--quick, easy, and savory. Still my favorite thing to do on the Egg, and always my choice when I'm trying to impress someone who is new to the BGE world. Email me if you'd like my longwinded narrative on preparing the perfect steak.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Moose,
    Steaks are great if you have done them a few times and are aware of the flashback that can happen. Pork tenderloin (not pork loin) is a wonderful cut of meat when cooked properly. I'm hoping someone will post the links to the websites that tell you how to egg them. Good luck.
    New Bob

• Moose,
    I would do a pork loin. I did one this past weekend and it was the best I have ever done. Wrapped in bacon, stuffed with a blackberry/orange/onion/pepper concoction that i mixed up, on the egg for a little over 1 hour at 335* to an internal temp of 145, then let it rest for about 15 minutes. They will dislocate their jaw trying to lick their lips. Email me if you want detailed info. It was killer!
    Seth

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Moose,[p]In my opinion I'd go with either the Naked Wiz's Chicken Alfredo or Dead Simple Spatchcocked Chicken. Both are good, easy and everyone likes chicken, right? As an added bonus, chicken is very easily ruined on the barby. These are damn tough to screw up on.[p]My 2 cents and thanks Whiz![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

[ul][li]Whiz's Recipes[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Seth Howard,[p]Pork loin Pork loin. I'm with you. I rub the insides with apricot preserves and stuff it up with dried fruit...apricots, pineapple, whatever is around. I've had people almost burst into tears eating that pork loin. Of course it was a bit hot.[p]mShark
  • mollyshark
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]You fool, show him a recipe![p]Ok. Check out Mr. Toad's pork loin in the recipe section online here. Great every time.[p]Oh...chopped cashews. Don't forget to stick that in the stuffing.[p]And yes, the tenderloin. Skinny sucker around 2 lbs each.[p]mShark
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Moose,[p]Smoked salmon. No matter what you do to it, it will come out perfect.[p]K~G

• mollyshark,
    Ok I will give. I took a jar of Polaner Blackberry all fruit, one orange juice, several generous twists of the pepper mill, and a few cloves of crushed garlic and put it ina pan and reduce it down to a sticky paste. I spiral cut the tenderloin as thin as i can, and smear the paste all over the loin. then i roll it back up and wrap the whole thing with thick bacon. Tie it up real good and cook it direct on a raised grid until about 145* internal. I roll it about every 10 minutes to cook the bacon evenly. It is very good. I wish i had had some walnuts. No wood chips needed.
    Seth

• Moose
    Moose Posts: 3
    Options
    "Thanks all" for the fabulous ideas for dinner. I'll check with "the boss" to see what she would like to try. Hopefully, the new in-laws won't want to move in after getting their first taste from the BGE.[p]Moose[p]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Moose,
    Everyone is coming up with good dishes to cook but there are some "rules" when it comes to trying to impress someone with your BGE cooking skills. They include:[p]1. Don't cook ANYTHING for outsiders until you have practiced on it. There can be a lot of unpleasant surprises while doing a first-time cook. Not all are the Egg's fault.
    2. Be absolutely sure about the timing of your cook. You want it to come off at the right moment for serving. (see #1 and keep good records)
    3. Don't cook something your guests are known for cooking themselves. Remember, you have the perfect tool to show up any "gasser" cook and most stove cooks. You certainly don't want to embarrass them. Better to let them figure out for themselves that with an Egg they could actually improve their favorite recipes.
    4. Don't try to upstage your friend's favorite BBQ restaurant with your version of the restaurant's best meal. Some restaurants are darn good at what they do. Plus, they are more than just a place to eat. A good time adds greatly to the flavor of a mediocre meal.
    5. Don't try to cook two different meats on the same Egg at the same time. That is just asking for trouble because each requires a different set of cooking steps. Get a second Egg if you feel compelled to do it. (Good excuse to get a second egg)
    6. For goodness sake, don't spend the day before bragging about how good it’s going to be. You are going to be busy entertaining and partaking of the brew, and you can make mistakes. The slightest oversight or prep error could make you look like an idiot. (Been there, done that)
    7. Buy good meat. Enough said on that.
    8. Enjoy your party and let the Egg do its thing. It knows what it's doing.[p]I'm sure there will be some other ideas forthcoming but these are enough to get you started.[p]Good luck[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• mollyshark
    Options
    Seth Howard,[p]Ha. I like to win. Actually the dijon salmon is another then that makes people swoon (me included). We got so hooked on it we finished about 3 enormous salmon filets in a week. Now we're a little worn out. Even non-fish eaters like this one.[p]Walnuts. Hmm. I'm not a walnut fan. But the crushed cashews were heaven.[p]This is all so exciting. I'm stuffed from the top sirloin I just consumed. Did it the old way with mustard and kosher salt. Lord I forgot how good that is. The mini just screamed with happiness. I'm too full to scream.[p]
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    That was a great set of rules for any of us showing off our BGE's.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Only two more and you can come down from the mountain... And thanks for putting them in modern English instead of that "Thou shalt..." stuff. :-)
    Like Drivr said, good points for all of us.
    Ken

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    BobbyG,
    I agree. Pork T's are great on the egg. Also, they are easy and pretty predictable from a timing standpoint.

• Bob McDonald
    Options
    TRex,[p]Thanks for offering the perfect recipe for steaks. I would love to have it.