Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Were You...9/11?

2»

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    It was weird when we were landing in Sarasota we were delayed as Bush's plane came in ahead of us as he was going to read to the kids in a school down there. I had my rug hooking with me as carry one, my frame, hook scissors the whole shebang. Needless to say it all had to be shipped home. no more carrying that on. But the rug I was working on had a lot of spots that were very hard and packed tight. not soft and thick feeling. Normally I would rip that all out as it is not good hooking. I have left it in and there is a label on the back of the rug with the dates and info about it. and the reason why there is tight heavy spots and even some tear stains in it. For my colors in my rugs I am very much into earth tomes and rich deep colors. not red white and blue. but the boarder in this rug is red white and blue.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    On Hwy 70 in Bartlett Tn. at a vehicle crash. PD came over to tell us that a plane had hit the first tower. We watched the rest unfold at the firestation.
  • My wife and I were hiking a trail in Rocky Mtn. Nat. Park when we heard two other hikers talking about it and we asked them about it. We hadn't had our radio on because you can't get anything in the mountains. We cut our trip short to get back with our family. It was pretty strange to drive 1000 miles without seeing a plane or a contrail the whole way
    FRANK FROM INDIANA
  • I know this shows how young I am but I was in 9th grade geometry class. My teacher was a Navy veteran and one of the other teachers came in and told him and he just started crying. I will never forget it.
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    At work in Bham when they hit the first tower. My wife was in Chicago at the Sears Tower. I was freakin' out.
  • I was on my way to the New Orleans to catch a flight to Houston for a meeting with BP. Didn't fly that day. We see lots of helicopters around here changing crews on offshore platforms and plenty air traffic to and from New Orleans. I remember going outside in the evening for days and not seeing a single plane.
  • I was at work. Heard about it and went to our ops center and saw the second plane on CNN... Don't think i slept the next 2 days as we were working with our customers/partners/competitors/employees in the city trying to see what we could do to help.. Honestly it was pretty amazing how everyone came together in the crisis..

Still, it seems like yesterday and I can't stop thinking about what all those innocents felt like in the last minutes of thier lives.....God rest their souls.
  • How are you making out. Need anything? Hopefully you have electricity.
  • I was traveling to Northern Louisiana. While listening to the radio, they broke in a with an update saying, some plane had steared off course and then hit the WTC. Then 30 minutes later they said another plane had hit another tower. At that point I knew something was up and thought WW3 was starting. I kept thinking what is going to happen next.
  • Doing fine. Got electricity on Monday. Flew back to Houston on Tuesday after four days of cleanup here. Drove back with my bride and dogs on Wednesday. Little weary from all the cleanup and still working on fence repairs - will eat this whale a bite at a time. No complaints from this corner - we really dodged a bullet on this one.

Thanks Mike.
  • at work at the air force base. imagine watching the Pentagon burning and the towers falling at one of the largest bases in the country. every member of the military felt the same thing that day and feels it still to this day
  • I was working for Cisco in the Technicial Support Center.

Cisco had a brand new product about to be released to the world called IPTV. It got a major shake down as every Cisco PC\Laptop and Workstation was playing CNN live.

One of my Colleagues was on the phone with one of Canter Fitzgerald's network engineers when the first plane struck. She was 8 months pregnant and we never heard from her again.

I had two cases in my queue for the Port Authority that closed that day simply because the network was no longer there.

In the course of an hour we watched the total calls waiting in NMS TAC drop from 34 to ZERO. The same thing was seen in each of the TAC areas. People just hung up and each of them told us the same thing as we called them back. "My problem just doesn't matter anymore."

When our phones did ring it was from people asking us to help them re-establish connections to NYC. All we could do was tell them that would be impossible, but we would try. For days that helpless task repeated itself as people came back to reality. Some we could connect, others simply were gone.
  • First heard about it as I was parking my car across the river in Newark. Looked up and saw the smoke coming out of tower 1. By the time I was up in the office, the second tower was hit and the office watched out the windows until they fell. Then everyone left to be with family. Absolutly surreal to watch.
  • I am think one of two fates would be fitting for Bin Laden

1. Turn him into a woman and drop him Afghanistan.

2. Build a big fire and put him in a helicopter. Fly him up 1/4 of a mile (the height of the two towers) and then kick his ass out of the helicopter.. Then drop a one ton slab of concrete on what's left if corpse..
  • On my way to work just as the first plane hit...I thought it was an accident at first...then the other one hit. I called my wife and we both just sobbed in disbelief...crazy! :(
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    I was sitting in my home office preparing a proposal for a client in Idaho - I live in Florida and was scheduled out there the next week. My wife called and told me to turn on the TV. I sat there transfixed until the phone rang again - it was an insurance salesman. I went ballistic! These people were trying to make a buck selling insurance to older Americans (yes my kids and gkids suspect me of knowing George Washington) while the US was under attack.

The next generation understands me as grandpa, the guy who is easy to hit up for nearly anything they want. Thank God I can still enjoy them and I pray to God to show me the things I can still do to protect them.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    I had accepted a new position in Northern New Jersey in July 2001 and was commuting weekly to Newark before moving up there in October. I landed on 9/11 at 8:45 am into Newark and as I emerged from the airport the second tower was hit. It was surreal to see the two smoldering towers across the Hudson from where I was. I was pretty shook up once I realized that it could have been my Delta flight that was highjacked. In fact I had flown United 93 from Newark to San Francisco twice in the previous three months.

Our little village of 10,000 population in Orange County NY (Warwick) lost 11 people that day, as many public safety people lived there. Our retired NYFD neighbor spent months in his dress uniform attending funerals. Sad sad time and I pray that we don't forget...

Roudy
  • I work for CNBC and was at work when the first call came in. We just happen to have a camera right across the river from the WTC. We turned up the camera and watched it all day. We had dozens of people down there at the NYSE and had no idea what happened to them. Thankfully they were all alright.
  • Sodak
    Sodak Posts: 57
    I don't have an alibi.