Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I learned the hard way!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just to share a little story with everyone. I'm sure you seasoned Egg'ers will laugh at this one.

Finally got my Egg after waiting 3 weeks. Put it together like a kid on Christmas. Decided I would take it for a test ride today with a small 6-8hr rib cook. Knowing that the egg is slow to come down in temp (after all I did do my homework) I was very careful loading my lump, lighting and bringing the temp up. Toward the target temp one of my bulldogs go ahold of a wood chunk that required me to chase his butt around the yard for 5 minutes (didn't want him to eat it). Upon returning to my Egg I discovered the temp was now 305+. In a panic I start closing vents, opening the top (yes, the biggest mistake of them all), etc. Needless to say, I now am waiting for the temp to drop back to something I can use while the ribs wait to be put on.

I believe (please someone correct me if I am wrong) the only way to bring the temp down is to close things up and wait.

I think tomorrow or even this weekend I may just fire up the egg to work on temp control with no plans of cooking on it. Yes it will waste some lump but in the long run it will give me the chance to get it right a couple of times before doing a nice long cook.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If you are going to do the ribs indirect and have not yet added the plate setter or whatever heat difuser you will use, eo it now, that will help drop the temp.
  • "Wasting" a little lump in that fashion to learn temp controll could be the second smartest thing you do. The first was getting your egg. Correct, close almost all the way down to bring temp down. Try to learn how to close to where you think it should be when you get approx. 50 degrees below your target point & let it settle before mooving anything again.
    Hope this helps.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Often, if the heat build up is stopped quickly enough, just a few minutes up high, the temp can come down pretty quickly with the vents shut down. For instance, I've had similar distractions, and got back to the Egg with a dome rising past 400 when I wanted 250. If I shut the daisy all the way, and the bottom to 1/8", the temp usually drops back in a few minutes.

But if it sit at a higher temp for 10 - 15 minutes, yeah 20 minutes to start dropping.

Then, of course, its a matter of not dropping too far...
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I'm fairly new at this, however, when my egg gets above the temp I want, I cut the vents back and then I'll open the lid for 10 seconds or so. Then I'll close the lid for a few minutes, open it for another 10 seconds or so, close it for a few minutes, etc. In a short amount of time, the temp works its way down.

Maybe the more experienced eggers will have some better suggestions.

Brian
  • Cookn&Climbn
    Options
    if you are going to do a lengthy practice session you might as well put something on there, like a butt. also, adding cold mass can help bring the temp down, so if you were at 350 and wanted 250, just add your plate setter with the food on it, reduce air flow a little, and come back in a few min.
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    After I've let the initial 'bad' smoke burn off with the dome open, I'll watch how fast the temperature rises as soon as I shut the dome. If it's quickly rising, and you're shooting for a temp of say 400 degrees, I'd start closing the vents at around 275, 300 degrees. If your temp is one that is slowly rising and you're looking for 400, I'd start playing with the vents at around 350. It's not an exact science but like you've learned, it's a helluva lot easier to bring the temp up then bring it down.

A gentleman here posted something last night where he said he waits 15 minutes after he's gotten to his target temp, then puts his food on. He finds it easier for the temp to get back to its target after opening the lid by doing this.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    305 is not the end of the world, I would go ahead and put ribs on and monitor, just make sure it settles where you want it. A few minutes over 300 will not alter much at all. Patience and use will greatly reduce your learning curve.

Walt
  • plate setting is already been added.
  • Don't you end up raising the temp due to the rush of fresh air hitting the fire?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    yep, ive put plenty of ribs on at too high or too low a temp and zeroed in what i want as the cook went on. you dont want to get fixated on exact temps, 275 plus or minus 25 degrees is still going to make descent ribs and you have plenty of time to zero in on a target temp.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I just re-read my first message. That should have said 350+, not 305+.

Right now I'm floating around 300-305, I want to drop a little more before I proceed.

I've already declared this a bad cook and don't plan on enjoying the ribs to much.

If I didn't let it get out of control for so long or so high I could have recovered but I let it go to long. I think the fire got to large and now it's just a matter of letting things die off and the temp dropping. No quick fix here.

Live and learn. If nothing else I now know what NOT to do.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I wouldn't in any way call it a bad cook yet. If you've already got it down to 300, throw your ribs on there, set the vents where they ought to be for 275 and let'er rip. With the plate setter in there you'll be fine. Don't give up on this cook yet, your ribs'll be fine.
  • Actually the ribs are back on but I still consider this a lost or bad cook.

I won't waste the ribs but I'm not counting on them turning out that good either.

Now my next batch, watch out!!! :woohoo:

I'm concerned that it's take me so long to get the temp under control and I've had the vents closed for so long that I may have lost my fire. I've since opened them slightly (the temp is where or about where I want it now). Hopefully there is enough fire left to carry through the rest of the cook.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I have it damped back, keep the lid closed a few minutes and only open it about 10 seconds. I'm starving the fire and just venting some accumulated heat. I've only done it on the lower temps-haven't and wouldn't try it at high temps. Looks like the other folks have given you good info.

Brian
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    there's nothing like a big pile o' cold meat to drop the temp in your newly lit egg, so I would say next time this happens, shut the bottom & toss on the ribs & watch the temp go down :lol:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Listen to the Zippster... :silly:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Well I got the ribs back on (at the corect temp) for some time. I knew going in they would not be as good as I expected or could do and I was right. They fell off the bone but were a little dry for my liking. I'm sure this was due to the high temp they were cooking at for a period of time.

If nothing else, I learned a good lesson on temp control my first time out. Looking forward to my next smoke in a week or so (sooner if I know I'll be home long enough).

Thanks everyone for your input.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Hey cowboy, turn that frown upside down.

Walt
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    If you are ever in question over your ribs drying too much, consider a 3-1-1 method. (there are lots of posts on this.) The one hour foiling can save the day when drying is a issue. I use this method as standard approach only because it's pretty well bullet proof. thanks rc
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the only thing you cool off that way is the thermometer. look at how little the vents need to be open in order to hold 250. now, imagine how much more air is introduced by opening the dome.

opening the dome to cool off a low fire only adds a lot more air, and that air will actually tend to raise temps until the oxygen is burned off.

best thing to do for cooling a fire that's too hot (for a low and slow), is to either shut the vents, or put in cold meat/platesetter, etc.

you could even put in a drip pan filled with water . i don't use one for regualr lo-and-slo cooks, but it would become a heat sink and suck up the extra heat.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    they sound overdone. that's a time issue rather than temp.

300 won't hurt your ribs at all.

did you sue a platesetter or indirect set up?

if your temps were 300, the simple act of adding the meat andplatesetter, etc. would kill the 50 degree difference. you'd still need to shut the vents a bit (set them for 250) though, because eventually the cold stuff will heat up.

it's paradoxical, but just because you can dial in temps at 250 for 40 hours straight doesn't mean you've totally screwed up if it bobs up and down 25 or even 50 degrees from your desired temp. 300 is still a slow fire. it can't possibly dry your ribs versus 250.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante