Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water in the dome thermometer

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]Looks like I left the egg out for too long in the rain. My dome thermometer, which is the newer metal one, was full of water droplets when I went outside tonight.[p]I had seen a post previously about sticking it in the oven at 200 or so for a few hours to clear it up. Well, after 3 hours in the oven, I now have a LOT of small droplets, instead of several larger ones. It doesn't appear that the overall quantity of water has decreased at all - just spread out.[p]Any other ideas for clearing these out? Next time I'll be sure to do the silicone trick to keep it from happening again. Are these maybe covered under warranty? [p]Cheers -[p]Mike

Comments

• Harry
    Harry Posts: 58
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I too had that problem - except that it wasn't just a few drops, I actually had a puddle in there. I drilled a small hole and let the water run out. While drilling the hole the glass cracked, but the thermometer stil works fine.[p]Harry

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Place the thermometer in a bag full of uncooked rice. The rice will absorb the moisture

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, I saw a post a few months ago that worked for me. If I remember correctly, the procedure was to bring the oven temp to 350. Place the thermometer inside the oven, turn off the heat and let it rest for 3-4 hours. The uncooked rice in a bag sounds good, too.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Zeke,[p]That did it! Put it in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes (because I forgot to turn it off originally). I then turned off the oven, and within an hour it was dry. Retested in boiling water after it cooled off - still good as new.[p]I guess you have to go to a higher temp to really force the moisture into steam. During my other attempt my oven temp was just too low.[p]Thanks![p]- Mike