Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Plasma tv

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guys, my 65" dlp set crapped out for the third time after being replaced twice in 3 years. I don't want to through any more money at it. I'm looking at a 60" Pioneer PRO-151FD, any opinions? -RP

Comments

• Well - please let me know what NOT to buy...

What a pain.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    as a electronics salesman,why not consider the panasonic . they are the best rated plasma out there!!
  • AZRP
    I thought about the Panasonic 65" but it was about $1500 more than the Pioneer. -RP
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    sometimes you got to pay the extra to get the extra better stuff. remember your dlp?? when you get something then have to fork out money here and there to fix it all adds up......
  • hey there.
    if you have the room, consider a panny projector - just finished my basement, and put in pt-ax200u - its a new model, really bright, usable in moderate light, and costs less than a 40inch lcd/plasma. fantastic for playing dvd, gaming, or watching foozeball.
    mate it with a 5x10piece of wilsonart designer white laminate (for the screen) - wrap some velvet for trim, and you have a kickass 120+ inch home theater for less than $1500 bucks all-in(av-receiver/speakers not included)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I'll second this. I have 2 Panasonics, one plasma and one LCD. They are both 42".

The plasma is the best TV I have ever had.

I also have a Mits 65" rear projection HD. The picture on the Panasonic plasma is much better.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I thought Plasmas could be problematic over long term use?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Literally tens of thousands of hours before they need a recharge.

I've had mine a little over 2 years and no issues at all. It is in a pretty bright room right off the kitchen and the picture is still outstanding.
  • AZRP
    Couldn't be as problematic as this dlp set I have. -RP
  • I dumped a lot of money into a Panasonic LCD and in just over two years it went to the curb for trash pick up. Now have a Sharp LCD with the extended warranty. So far it has been a great TV. The people that I have talked to tell me that the extended warranty is more important than brand. If it is a high end appliance you need the warranty. I chose not to get it with the Panasonic and it was a big mistake. Good luck and hope I have helped.
    Jupiter JIm

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I'll second the extended warrenty. I've gotten 5 new lamps and the entire insides of my dlp replaced free. The salesman pointed out that 3 new lamps more than covered the cost of the extended warrenty.

Of course, that's for dlp, not familiar with problemsa a plasma can have. I've only heard of burn in from too much non HD viewing but that was years ago, hopefully fixed by now.
  • If that's the Kuro set, get it. Home Theater magazine positively went nuts over it.

I just checked...it is. It's supposedly the absolute best around. I'll be terribly envious :P

Home Theater Magazine's Review:
    How does the best one-piece digital display we’ve ever tested, flat panel or otherwise, sound? It’s a display with an image so compelling that you might even consider it in preference to a comparably priced projector and screen, despite the bigger, more theater-like, immersive experience a projector can provide.
  • Randy,
    I have a 43 in Pioneer Tv for two years they are the best. Perfect color which you only get with plasma.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • Randy,
    I just read all the other post. Plasma has the best color and the best blacks, you can watch it in a sun lit room. I spent 41 years in the motion picture bus. as a Cinematographer and have looked at a lot of film on TV's Plasma are the best. Pioneer Elite are the best.
    Ross
  • You're talking some pretty serious $$$ with that Pioneer unit, but it has a fine reputation. I bought a Vizio 50" plasma last Christmas at Costco for $1000 (day after Thanksgiving special) and the family has been delighted with it. Plenty bright enough for daytime viewing, and it has multiple HDMI inputs. More to the point, I have zero regrets for choosing plasma over LCD.

Only problem is that local standard-definition cable TV and the old VHS collection look like crap. We use an upscaling Sony DVD/VHS player and apparently that's as good as we're gonna get.

If you do get the big Kuro, I wanna see the next Steelers game!
  • I have two Vizio's, one LCD,one Plasma, 60" Sony in the basement theater room, all have outstanding pictures. I recommend staying within the budget. For the money you can't go wrong with the Vizio.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Before you buy anything I strongly encourage you to google "Mitsubishi Laservue TV". They are scheduled to launch this line during the fall.

I myself am hoping that this will be the one that replaces my 40 inch tube that's fast approaching it's 13th birthday. An article about Mitsubishi Laser TV appeared in the NY Times back in 2006 while it was still in developemnt. Since then the name changed to Laservue.

There are a few videos about Laservue on Youtube aswell.

Good luck!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I couldnt be happier with my Samsung 42" 1080p.
  • Bacchus wrote:
    I couldnt be happier with my Samsung 42" 1080p.

I wasn't aware that Samsung made 42" 1080p sets. What model is this? :huh: