Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the four food groups

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,671
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
lets see, meat, dairy, vegetable, im sure beer counts as a grain. got it covered. never low and slowed a thick pork chop before, just seemed wrong, but this was one juicy chop

DSC_0199.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I have always had trouble getting juicy chops off any grill. I have tried them direct, indirect, high temp, low temp, in cast iron. they never seem to come out as good as the First Mate can do them on the gas stove in the house. I have tried her method on the egg, good but not as good as hers.

Next attempt on the egg will be in tomato sauce ala "Pork Chops Milanais" They come out fantastic indoors, we shall see outdoors.
  • How low and how slow?
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Looks like pork heaven on a plat. Was reading the thicker the chop, the better the chance of staying juicy???
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • fishlessman
    i started the cook at about 225 on a raised grill direct with the abt's and added the chops about 20 minutes later. and started slowly raising temps to about 300 degrees for the rest of the cook, maybe 45 more minutes. chops were over 1.5 inches thick and they came off the grill a little late at 150 internal, but still filled the plate with liquid when i was eating them. i only had a couple handfulls of lump when i started the cook which was the reason for cooking them at low temps, i was surprised with the results.
    fukahwee maine

• Hmm, I may pick up some pork chops and try that tonight. It's an excuse to try my new DigiQ!
  • fishlessman
    i tried a chicken marsala recipe years ago with pork chops, it doesnt look to good in the plate, but it was very good. i ate some when i thought the dish was done and the chops were tough, put them on to braise for a couple more hours until the got tender and they were great.

2005002951.jpg

2005003324.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,

Of course beer counts as grain. It even counts as grain and green vegetable, barley and hops. I've been doing pork loins, chops and crown roast low and slow for a while now. I like the result a lot better and everything is juicy.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Looks fantastic. Those are my favorite 4 food groups. As far as grilling a juicy chop directly try this. Egg at 450 deg. Use the method of 2.5. Which is turn 90 deg after 2.5 minutes wait 2.5 minutes then flip. 2.5 min. turn. 2.5 minuted flip. Works for me every time. They turn out juicy and have great criss-cross grill marks every time. I only do this with chops that are over 1.5" thick. When I pull em off they end up at 145 internal every time. I will have to try the pork chop marsala that looks good.