Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your record for a single burn ?

Options
Dean
Dean Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first butt on Friday night. Hand picked the largest lumps for the bottom of the fire box; then added middle size ones on top of that and finished with small ones at the top of the firebox.[p]My "Butt" finished in 16 hours and 20 min (11:05 AM Saturday) so I put some ribs on to see how long the fire would go. It went another 2 and 1/2 hours so I got a total of almost 19 hours before I could no longer maintain temp.[p]When I opened the lid however, I still had plenty of coal but a lot of ash. I moved the coals around to get rid of the ash and the fire continued another solid 4 hours which would have been 23 hours total if I could have done something different.[p]Question #1 - What's your record for untouched long burn ?[p]Question #2 - Any suggestions to improve my next long term burn ?
(I used Big Green Egg coal)[p]
Thanks,[p] "Anal" Dean[p][p]

Comments

• Dean,I know other people have done it longer, but noone else is responding. I have gone 19 hours and 50 minutes while cooking butt. There was still plenty of fuel left. Did your charcoal burn evenly, or was theremuch more burned on one side than the other? There was a post at one time about offsetting the firebox opening to achieve more of an even burn. I have not tried it yet, but I don't reckon that it would hurt to try. It would be purely experimental as to how far to offset the openings, and even if it would work. Might be worth a shot.
    rw muscle Shoals, Al

• CaptainBBQ
    Options
    Dean,[p]25.5 hours and had to shut it down. Had coal left over.[p]CaptainBBQ