Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs - Help!

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Everybody:[p]Just got back from DC and am suffering greatly from withdrawl symptoms since I haven't used my egg in more than a week! After arriving from the airport, I stopped at the grocery store and picked up some spareribs that were on sale. I've only done baby backs so far and wondered how spares differ as far as time, temps, etc. I sprinkled them with Dizzy Dust before hitting the sack last night, and am now ready to spend some quality time with my hubby and my egg today, so any tips and info you can give me on doing spares will be greatly appreciated. Boy, it's good to be home.....![p]QBabe
:~)

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    QBabe,
    Welcome back, your husband has been cooking up a storm while you were gone, so you might want to clean the old coals out, that is if the egg has cooled down.LOL
    As far as the ribs, i would not do anything different that you do with babybacks.Now, they might need a 1/2 hr longer due to the fact they are thicker & have more meat, but that should be it.[p]Earl

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy QBabe,
    Welcome back. Sorry we weren't able to hook up this time. Hope your trip went well and that you are healthy again![p]I am with Earl on the spares. Just a bit longer than the babybacks. I like 4-5 hours at around 250-275 dome temp.[p]See you in May!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe,
    If you want them to cook more evenly, you'll have to do some trimming. "St Louis" style.
    I saw a real god primer on how to do the trimming on one of the forums, you could do a search for it.
    Doc Pigg

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Qbabe, You are in for some good eating. Matter of fact, I think I prefer spare ribs to baby backs. Like in the previous messages, they will need more time on the BGE if you want them to pull clean off the bone. Typically, I can pull them clean off the bone at 5½ hours at 250.

• Heres how to trim spares for more even cooking.
    (Courtesy of RumRunner & Tim)[p]Doc Pigg

[ul][li]Trimming Spares[/ul]
  • QBabe
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Howdy Chris...I was really disappointed that I couldn't swing by since I was so close, but you and your family definately didn't want what I had picked up. Yuck![p]Do you do the spares direct or indirect at 250° - 275°?[p]It's a BEAUTIFUL day here in N. Central Florida, 72° with a light, warm, breeze. One fabulous day for sitting outside, tending to an egg...![p]Cheers,
    Tonia
    :~)[p][p]

• QBabe
    Options
    Doc Pigg,[p]Looks like you do the trimming in the beginning before spices or mustard, but since I already spiced them up with Dizzy Dust last night, can I do it now? I can see where it would be more messy, but is that the only drawback? I've been wanting to do the "St. Louis" style since Rum posted the technique....[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    QBabe,
    Jenna has been sick as well. A nasty cold that lasted an entire week. I agree we don't need any more![p]I do ribs indirect usually. Occasionally do direct, and when I do I go with 225 on a raised grate.[p]Awesome day here in virginia to. Kinda an indian summer after several freezes here already. Should hit 70 here today. Ahhhh! Gonna be doin up some chicken thighs today to keep me busy while I drink beer.[p]Go terps!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ