Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri tip tips

Options
Bigsmoke
Bigsmoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any tips on tri tips (about 3 lbs-choice from Harris Ranch)-dry rub? marinade?[p]BS

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    bigsmoke, Welcome aboard and yep..I did a tri tip the other night and this is kinda unconventional..I use the large BGE and crank it up to the 650 to 700 range with a hot bed of coals. I marinated it in mustard overnight and dusted with a dry rub prior to cooking. This is a interesting piece of meat.
    Let me explain.
    I seared it both sides for about 2 minutes over direct flame, both sides. Then put on my daisy wheel, barely cracked to maintain approximately 300 degrees.
    Also about a 1/4 inch opening in the lower vent. This allowed the internal temps to slowly drop from the 700 range and stabilize at the 300. 1 hour later I had a magnificent, juicy, well done tri tip that was nearly double its size when first prepared. These things shrink rapidly in length and get fatter in the middle. If you have a BGE..try it this way. Great eating.
    Shorten the time to 45 minutes and check internal temps for around 140 if you wish rare to medium rare. Mine was 165 for well done.
    Cheers..C~W

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    bigsmoke,
    There is a recipe in recipe section under Eggtoberfest 99 that I did that many people enjoyed. Tale a look at that.
    Its a great cut of meat. It you like your meat medium rare I'd go for interna temp of 125-130.
    Its a fantastic cut of meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!